Subject: [CCAMP] How to Specify Regeneration at a particular node in RSVP-TE?

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:02:58 -0700

Hi folks,  we are continuing to investigate the generalization of the 
WSON work to include regenerators, OEOs and the like.
We have a question to how to best indicate via RSVP-TE that a particular 
processing operation such as regeneration is to take place at
a particular node along the path.

Previous GMPLS work supports the signaling of wavelength conversion at a 
particular node along the path since the Explicit Route Object (ERO) 
supports a label sub-object and one can use a fixed mapping such as 
[Otani] between labels and wavelengths.

If we want to specify other types of processing at a particular node 
along the path should we define new ERO sub-objects?
Another approach seems to be that of RFC5420 concerning LSP attributes. 
In particular RFC5420 states:
                   10.2. Communicating to Key Transit LSRs
                   Processing for key transit LSRs (such as ABRs and 
ASBRs) follows
                   exactly as for egress LSR.  The only difference is 
that the
                   definition of the LSP attribute in the defining RFC 
will state that
                   the attribute must be acted on by these transit LSRs.
Now to use this, it seems that we'd need to include the IP address of 
the node we want to perform the processing in the TLV, which seems kind 
of redundant  with what we already have in the ERO...

Comments, questions, other alternatives?

Cheers

Greg B.

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237

---

From: Piero Castoldi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:45:40 +0200

Hi Greg and colleagues,

from Pisa, Italy, we just published in JLT a possible solution for  	
"Accounting for Shared Regenerators in GMPLS-Controlled Translucent 
Optical Networks" and in IEEE Network an overview of the problem.

The links are:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4982668&isnumber=5210716
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4939261&isnumber=4939253
(need access to the IEEExplore repository)

If the papers contain something useful for CCAMP, we are happy to serve.

Best regards,
Piero and coauthors

-- 
=======================================================
Piero Castoldi, PhD
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Associate Professor
CNIT National Laboratory of Photonic Networks, Director
Via G. Moruzzi, 1 - 56124 Pisa - Italy
office: +39 050 5492152, fax: +39 050 5492250
mobile: +39 348 8705110, skype-id: piero-sssup
http://www.pierocastoldi.it - http://www.ircphonet.it
=======================================================

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:56:14 -0700

Hi Piero, I'll get your papers and review. Thanks for the pointer!
The Pisa groups papers have been very helpful in the past.

Best Regards

Greg

Piero Castoldi wrote:
>> We have a question to how to best indicate via RSVP-TE that a 
>> particular processing operation such as regeneration is to take place at
>> Previous GMPLS work supports the signaling of wavelength conversion 
>> at a particular node along the path since the Explicit Route Object 
>> (ERO) supports a label sub-object and one can use a fixed mapping 
>> such as [Otani] between labels and wavelengths.
>>
>> Another approach seems to be that of RFC5420 concerning LSP 
>> attributes. In particular RFC5420 states:
>> the node we want to perform the processing in the TLV, which seems 
>> kind of redundant  with what we already have in the ERO...
>>