Subject: [CCAMP] Continuing the charter discussion from last week

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:39:33 -0500

All,
     In last week's meeting we began a discussion on updating the WG's 
charter.  In that discussion we said that we'd post the proposed 
revisions to the list and solicit additional feedback.  This message 
serves that purpose.

Please review and comment on the proposed new charter enclosed below. 
See the slides from the session for diffs:
   http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/76/slides/ccamp-29.ppt

Please send comments as soon as possible as we'd like to conclude the 
charter discussion in approximately 2 weeks.

Thank you,
Lou (and Deborah)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Proposed charter - Rev Nov 19, 2009

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/ccamp

Chair(s):
  •  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
  •  Lou Berger <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
  •  Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
  •  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  •  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Secretary(ies):
  •  Daniel King <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
Archive:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ccamp/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

Organizational Overview

The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF defining a
common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for
physical path and core tunneling technologies of Internet and telecom
service providers (ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O optical switches,
TDM Switches, Ethernet Switches, ATM and Frame Relay switches, IP
encapsulation tunneling technologies, and MPLS in cooperation with the
MPLS WG.

In this context, measurement refers to the acquisition and distribution
of attributes relevant to the setting up of tunnels and paths.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters (measurement
   attributes) for describing links and paths that are required for
   routing and signaling. These will be developed in conjunction with
   requests and requirements from other WGs to ensure overall usefulness.

- Definition of and extensions to protocols for link and path attribute
   measurement. This includes the Link Management Protocol (LMP).

- Functional specification of extensions for GMPLS-related routing
   (OSPF, ISIS) and signaling (RSVP-TE) protocols required for path
   establishment. Protocol formats and procedures that embody these
   extensions will be done jointly with the WGs supervising those
   protocols.

- Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
   properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

- Definition of management objects (e.g., as part of MIB modules) and
   control of OAM techniques relevant to the protocols and extensions
   specified within the WG.

- Work on traffic-engineering GMPLS mechanisms and protocol extensions
   to support source-controlled and explicitly-routed data paths for data
   planes that are already approved by a Standards Development
   Organization (SDO). Note that the specification or modification of
   data planes is out of scope of this working group. Example data planes
   include Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON), Optical Transport
   Networks (OTN), Ethernet, and the MPLS data plane.

- Work on GMPLS mechanisms and protocol extensions to support the
   transport profile of MPLS (MPLS-TP) in cooperation with the MPLS,
   L2VPN, and PWE3 Working Group and in coordination with the
   requirements expressed jointly by the IETF and ITU-T.

CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
   measurement protocol (or by other means e.g. configured) can be
   distributed in existing routing protocols, such as OSPF and
   IS-IS. CCAMP will work with the WGs that supervise these
   protocols. The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being
   addressed in the ISIS WG. Current work activities are focused in the
   areas of WSON and OTN.

- Define signaling and routing mechanisms and extensions to allow path
   and tunnel setup and maintenance across multiple domains, where a
   domain may be an IGP area, an Autonomous System, or any other region
   of topological visibility. To this end, work cooperatively with the
   PCE and MPLS WGs.

- Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
   protection. Specify signaling mechanisms for path protection, diverse
   routing and fast path restoration. Ensure that multi-layer path
   protection and restoration functions are achievable using the defined
   signaling, routing, and measurement protocols, either separately or in
   combination.

- Identify signaling and routing requirements for supporting extensions
   to data plane technologies (e.g., WSON, OTN, MPLS-TP, and Ethernet)
   and network architectures (e.g. ITU-T’s Automatically Switched Optical
   Network (ASON)) not currently met by protocols defined in CCAMP; based
   on these, define mechanisms to address these requirements. This
   activity will build on documents produced by the WG, including
   Informational, Standards Track and Experimental documents.

- Produce extensions to the CCAMP WG protocols and RFCs necessary to
   create an MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS TP). The work on the MPLS TP
   will be coordinated between the MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, and CCAMP working
   groups that are jointly chartered to do MPLS TP work.

In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the following
other WGs: MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, ISIS, OSPF, IDR, and PCE. The WG will also
cooperate with the ITU-T and the IEEE 802.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 2009    Submit Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN I-D for IESG review
Dec 2009    Submit TE MIB module IESG review
Dec 2009    Submit Ethernet related drafts for IESG review
Dec 2009    Submit hierarchy bis for IESG review
Jan 2010    First version of WSON routing related Working Group drafts
Feb 2010    Submit VCAT/LCAS with GMPLS for IESG review
Apr 2010    First versions of impairments related solutions Working
             Group drafts
Apr 2010    First version of G.709 enhancements framework Working Group
             drafts
Apr 2010    First version of Working Group draft providing Control
             Plane Framework for MPLS-TP
Apr 2010    First version of LMP Negotiation Working Group draft
May 2010    Submit Lambda labels draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit WSON framework draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit WSON impairment framework draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit OAM configuration framework for IESG review
May 2010    First version of OAM configuration solutions Working
             Group drafts
Aug 2010    First version of G.709 enhancements solutions Working
             Group drafts
Aug 2010    First version of LMP for  G.709 enhancements Working
             Group drafts
Sep 2010    First version of Working Group draft defining RSVP-TE
             extensions for MPLS-TP
Dec 2010    Submit WSON routing related for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit impairments related solutions for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit G.709 enhancements framework for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit Control Plane Framework for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Mar 2011    Submit RSVP-TE extensions for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit G.709 enhancements solutions for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit LMP Negotiation for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit last OAM configuration solutions for IESG review
Aug 2011    Submit LMP for G.709 enhancements for IESG review
Nov 2011    Recharter or close Working Group

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:46:47 -0800

Hi Lou and Deborah, the updated charter and milestones look good. The 
bullet item on how CCAMP deals with existing data planes (extension 
and/or modification is out of scope) will hopefully reduce some of the 
redundant comments we have received in the past.

Greg

Lou Berger wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> CCAMP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
>
>

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237