Subject: [CCAMP] Protocol Action: 'Revised Definition of The GMPLS Switching Capability and Type Fields' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 08:41:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Revised Definition of The GMPLS Switching Capability and Type Fields'
  (draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update/

Technical Summary

  GMPLS provides control for multiple switching technologies, and hierarchical switching 
  within a technology. GMPLS routing and signaling use common values to indicate 
  switching technology type. These values are carried in routing in the Switching 
  Capability field, and in signaling in the Switching Type field. While the values used in 
  these fields are the primary indicators of the technology and hierarchy level being 
  controlled, the values are not consistently defined and used across the different 
  technologies supported by GMPLS. This document is intended to resolve the 
  inconsistent definition and use of the Switching Capability and Type fields by narrowly 
  scoping the meaning and use of the fields. This document updates any document that 
  uses the GMPLS Switching Capability and Types fields, in particular RFC 3471, RFC 
  4202, RFC 4203, and RFC 5307.

Working Group Summary:

  Nothing of note. Good support by the WG.

Document Quality:

  This document updates the definitions for the Switching Type field to be consistent and 
  deprecates three previously defined switching types. For existing implementations, the 
  primary impact of this document is deprecating the use of PSC-2, 3 and 4. At the time 
  of publication, there are no known deployments (or even implementations) that make 
  use of these values so there is no compatibility issues for current routing and signaling 
  implementations.

Personnel:

  Deborah Brungard ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
  Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

 Abstract
 OLD
   This document updates any document that uses the
   GMPLS Switching Capability and Types fields, in particular RFC
   3471, RFC 4202, RFC 4203, and RFC 5307.
 NEW
   This document updates all documents that use the
   GMPLS Switching Capability and Types fields, in particular RFC
   3471, RFC 4202, RFC 4203, and RFC 5307.
 END

 Section 1
 OLD
   In particular this document proposes
   deprecating the use of the Switching Types as an identifier of
   hierarchy levels within a switching technology, and limit its use to
   identification of a per-switching technology SCSI field format.
 NEW
   In particular this document
   deprecates the use of the Switching Types as an identifier of
   hierarchy levels within a switching technology, and limits its use to
   identification of a per-switching technology SCSI field format.
 END

 Section 1.1 (end)
    s/ Descriptor .../ Descriptor./

 Section 5
 OLD
   IANA needs to deprecate and redefine the related registry
 NEW
   IANA needs to deprecate some values and redefine the related registr
 END