Subject: [CCAMP] Protocol Action: 'Routing and Wavelength Assignment Information Encoding for Wavelength Switched Optical Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode-28.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:37:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Routing and Wavelength Assignment Information Encoding for Wavelength
   Switched Optical Networks'
  (draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode-28.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode/

Technical Summary

   A wavelength switched optical network (WSON) requires that certain
   key information fields are made available to facilitate path
   computation and the establishment of label switching paths (LSPs).
   The information model described in "Routing and Wavelength
   Assignment Information for Wavelength Switched Optical Networks"
   shows what information is required at specific points in the WSON.
   Part of the WSON information model contains aspects that may be of
   general applicability to other technologies, while other parts are
   specific to WSONs.

   This document provides efficient, protocol-agnostic encodings for
   the WSON-specific information fields. It is intended that protocol-
   specific documents will reference this memo to describe how
   information is carried for specific uses. Such encodings can be used
   to extend GMPLS signaling and routing protocols. In addition these
   encodings could be used by other mechanisms to convey this same
   information to a path computation element (PCE).

Working Group Summary

   This topic been discussed in the WG for a very long time, perhaps 6
   years.  Support for the work has been tepid, but there are multiple
   sets of contributors who would like to see the work result in proposed
   standards. 

   A late discussion about the inclusion of vendor-specific information 
   went back to the WG list and resulted in the removal of such TLVs
   until the ITU-T has completed its work in this area.
 
Document Quality

   This document provides background and an approach to extending
   exiting RFCs for which there are implementations, but does not
   itself define any protocol mechanisms.  The existing RFCs include
   RFC3471, RFC3473, RFC4202, RFC4203.  This work is based on RFC6163.

Personnel

   Lou Berger is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director