Subject: [Cellar] Any special requests for agenda items in our January virtual interim meeting on January 26?

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:42:25 -0600

We've been mostly doing an agenda of "walking through Github issues and
PRs" in recent meetings.

Are there any other agenda items that Michael and I should add?

Best,

Spencer

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 14:29:01 -0600

My apologies - this was a private reply to my "any agenda item special
requests?" e-mail.

Best,

Spencer

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: guest271314 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Cellar] Any special requests for agenda items in our January
virtual interim meeting on January 26?
To: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>

What is the canonical procedure to create an "infinite" audio stream, using
Opus and FLAC codecs?

I have been attempting to locate a site which streams Opus continuously to
test.

I also am interested in the exact opusenc, et al. commands necessary to
achieve creation of live audio streams.

The use cases are implementation of user-defined Web radio station, the
capability to play the "infinite" stream using HTMLAudioElement
(WHATWG/HTML) over HTTP.

("infinite" is quoted here as there is no way to verify infinity; the gist
is playback should not stop; is not seekable).

/guest271314/

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:42 PM Spencer Dawkins at IETF <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar
>

---

From: Jerome Martinez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 22:34:06 +0100

hi,

On 26/01/2021 21:29, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
> From: *guest271314* <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>
> What is the canonical procedure to create an "infinite" audio stream, 
> using Opus and FLAC codecs?

The CELLAR working group is about FLAC and Matroska formats, so I speak 
only about them.
No "procedure" as procedures are about tools which would encode such 
stream, not the purpose (IMO) of the working group.

Technically, I don't see something blocking with FLAC infinite 
streaming, as FLAC frames are independent; there may be an issue with 
the sample number, which is a 36-bit value (so days of playback...), but 
this value is mostly used for seeking and a web radio station would not 
try to seek several days in the past. At the specification level there 
is maybe a lack of precision that the sample number value is modulo 36.

For Matroska, I am less comfortable but it seems that there is nothing 
blocking for "big" timestamps (years of playback?)

Jérôme