Subject: Re: [Cellar] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for ISO/IEC 21122 (JPEG XS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-payload-rtp-jpegxs-18.txt)

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:50:53 -0400

The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > The IESG has approved the following document:
    > - 'RTP Payload Format for ISO/IEC 21122 (JPEG XS)'
    > (draft-ietf-payload-rtp-jpegxs-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

    > This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
    > Working Group.

    > The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

    > A URL of this Internet Draft is:
    > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-jpegxs/

    > Technical Summary

    > This document specifies a Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) payload
    > format to be used for transporting JPEG XS (ISO/IEC 21122) encoded
    > video.  JPEG XS is a low-latency, lightweight image coding system.
    > Compared to an uncompressed video use case, it allows higher
    > resolutions and frame rates, while offering visually lossless
    > quality, reduced power consumption, and end-to-end latency confined
    > to a fraction of a frame.

"visually lossless"  ?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Jerome Martinez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:58:10 +0200

> "visually lossless"  ?

Visually lossless is a marketing wording for saying "we are aware that 
this is not really lossless" ;-).
(in practice they focus on 10:1 compression ratio, something between the 
targeted 1000:1 compression ratio of AV1 or HEVC, and ~3:1 real lossless 
of FFV1)