Subject: [Cfrg] Invitation to review Bluetooth Simple Pairing draft specification

From: "Robert Hulvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:17:55 -0700

Hello,
 
My name is Robert Hulvey and I am a Systems Engineer with Broadcom Corp.
working on Bluetooth products.  I participate in several groups within the
Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) including the Core Specification
Working Group (CSWG), the Human Interface Device (HID) Working Group, and
the Bluetooth Architecture Review Board (BARB).  Within the CSWG, we have
been developing a feature called Simple Pairing to address the weaknesses
which were part of the original Bluetooth specification's pairing mechanism.
Our hope is that the new pairing method will be FIPS compliant, and as such
we would appreciate your review and feedback on whether we are on track to
achieve this goal.  "Pairing" refers to the method of associating 2 devices
so that they can communicate via the Bluetooth wireless protocol.
 
Note that Simple Pairing is just a first step, and does nothing to change
the Bluetooth encryption mechanism (the Massey-Rueppel stream cipher, also
known within the specification as E0).  We anticipate changing to AES in
counter-mode, similar to what WiFi currently uses, in a future version of
the specification.
 
The following is a link to a whitepaper which has been made publicly
available for the express purpose of encouraging outside review of the the
draft specification.  Please feel free to forward this to any other
interested parties.
 
See:
<http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Apply/Technology/Research/Simple_Pairing
.htm>
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Apply/Technology/Research/Simple_Pairing.
htm
 
Please send any feedback to the address shown in the document (
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]), but
please also copy me at [email-masked].
 
Thank you for your time.
 
Best Regards,
-Rob

Robert W. Hulvey
Principal Systems Engineer 	Broadcom Corporation
Mobile
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=16215+Alton+Parkway&csz=Irvi
ne%2C+CA+92618&country=us> & Wireless Group
16215 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618 	
[email-masked]
http://www.broadcom.com <http://www.broadcom.com/>  	
tel: 
mobile: 	949-926-6239
310-384-0996 	

 <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=30065054807&v0=565779&k0=68427479> Add me
to your address book...	  <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Want a signature
like this?	
 
_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg