Subject: [Cfrg] New CFRG I-D: Fast MAC Requirements

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:11:37 -0700

Greetings,

The new I-D http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-cfrg-fast- 
mac-requirements-00.txt is available. It describes the need for a  
fast MAC (in software) and proposes a set of requirements for such a  
MAC. Although there are possibly many applications for a fast MAC,  
the particular one we have in mind is the replacement for the TCP MD5  
Signature Option (being discussed in the transport area).

Abstract:
This memo outlines requirements guiding the development of a fast
Message Authentication Code (MAC) algorithm suitable for use with
many IETF protocols, but in particular routing protocols that use a
MAC for packet authentication.

It is widely conjectured that secure MACs that are fast in software
are possible, and many interesting MACs have appeared in the
literature.  Nevertheless, none of these MACs have seen broad
adoption, and none are a good match for the routing protocol case.
We hope that this memo brings together MAC designers and MAC users
for a fruitful discussion.

Comments to the authors or CFRG list are invited.

Brian & David

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg