Subject: Re: [Cfrg] existing KDFs and their uses

From: "Dan Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:11:58 -0500

Hi Hugo,

I just noticed NIST Special Publication 800-108, which, like HKDF, is
based on the ideas of extract-then-expand.  It has HMAC and CMAC based
options.  How does it fare in your view?  Especially, does have it
security similar to HKDF?

Best regards,

Dan

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Hugo Krawczyk
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:07 PM
To: David McGrew
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] existing KDFs and their uses

David, this work that you are doing in compiling usage scenarios and
existing KDFs is VERY useful. Hopefully, you can put it as a separate
document. I am very interested to know if there is anything, except
passwords, for which plain HKDF is insufficient.

I am interested in applications that require the KDF to generate regular
random keys rather than some structured elements (such as group elements
that require dedicated group-specific  techniques).

Thanks!

Hugo

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.