Subject: [Cfrg] SFE Standards?

From: "Henry B (Hank) Hotz, CISSP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 19:02:55 -0700

Are there any standards out there that would address the use of something like Secure Function Evaluation for common Certification Authority operations? 

As a canonical example, how about the process for a top-level CA to sign the certificate for a second-level CA? Typically you might require that two “passwords” be entered by two different people before the operation becomes possible. (Hopefully k of n people in general?)

Seems like we shouldn’t need so much special hardware to solve these problems. The example I gave is specifically extremely low volume, so speed is NOT a significant consideration.

Personal:  [email-masked]

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 02:05:12 +0000

> Are there any standards out there that would address the use of something
> like Secure Function Evaluation for common Certification Authority
> operations?

Look at https://cabforum.org  

--  
Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
IM: [email-masked] Twitter: RichSalz

---

From: Natanael <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 07:08:51 +0200

>
> As a canonical example, how about the process for a top-level CA to sign
the certificate for a second-level CA? Typically you might require that two
“passwords” be entered by two different people before the operation becomes
possible. (Hopefully k of n people in general?)
>
> Seems like we shouldn’t need so much special hardware to solve these
problems. The example I gave is specifically extremely low volume, so speed
is NOT a significant consideration.

Another place to look; https://mpclounge.wordpress.com/