Subject: [Cfrg] PKEX update

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:42:47 -0800

Hello,

   I have submitted -02 of the PKEX draft to the repository. Main change is
that I have generated the role-specific elements that PKEX uses for several
popular elliptic curves.

   PKEX allows for the exchange of "raw" public keys. From the Introduction:

      Many authenticated key exchange protocols allow for authentication
      using uncertified, or "raw", public keys.  Usually these
      specifications-- e.g.  [RFC7250] for TLS and [RFC7670] for IKEv2--
      assume keys are exchanged in some out-of-band mechanism.

      [RFC7250] further states that "the main security challenge [to using
      'raw' public keys] is how to associate the public key with a specific
      entity.  Without a secure binding between identifier and key, the
      protocol will be vulnerable to man-in-the- middle attacks."

      The Public Key Exchange (PKEX) is designed to fill that gap: it
      establishs a secure binding between exchanged public keys and
      identifiers, it provides proof-of-possession of the exchanged public
      keys to each peer, and it enables the establishment of trust in
      public keys that can subsequently be used to faccilitate
      authentication in other authentication and key exchange protocols.

It addresses the "Password Authenticated Key Distribution" application
from our PAKE Requirements draft.

   Comments are solicited.

   regards,

   Dan.

On 11/28/16 1:25 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> A new version of I-D, draft-harkins-pkex-02.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Dan Harkins and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Name:		draft-harkins-pkex
> Revision:	02
> Title:		PKEX
> Document date:	2016-11-28
> Group:		Individual Submission
> Pages:		16
> URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harkins-pkex-02.txt
> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-harkins-pkex/
> Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-harkins-pkex-02
> Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-harkins-pkex-02
>
> Abstract:
>     This memo describes a password-authenticated protocol to allow two
>     devices to exchange "raw" (uncertified) public keys and establish
>     trust that the keys belong to their respective identities.