Subject: [Cfrg] NTRUEncrypt + enhancements released into the public domain

From: William Whyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:46:16 -0400

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/03/28/945815/0/en/Security-Innovation-Makes-NTRUEncrypt-Patent-Free.html

William

---

From: Andy Lutomirski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 07:47:16 -0700

On Mar 28, 2017 6:46 AM, "William Whyte" <[email-masked]> wrote:

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/03/28/945815/0/
en/Security-Innovation-Makes-NTRUEncrypt-Patent-Free.html

William

This makes no sense.  The article says:

"We are making the NTRUEncrypt patents available under the Creative Commons
CC0 1.0 Universal License. By eliminating NTRUEncrypt patent hurdles, the
industry can speed the adoption of quantum-resistant encryption, ensuring
that the Internet remains secure long after the emergence of quantum
computers," explained Peter Samson, President of OnBoard Security.

>From the Creative Commons FAQ:

CC0 very clearly states that trademark and patent rights of the affirmer
are not affected – CC0’s sole reach is copyright and related and
neighboring rights, including database rights.

---

From: William Whyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 13:31:51 -0400

Sorry for any confusion. The patents are also covered. The LICENSE
statement has been updated at
https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/NTRUEncrypt/blob/master/LICENSE as
follows:

Note that although CC0 1.0 expressly does not cover patents, this license
statements encompasses the patents as well as the code. Specifically,
Security Innovation and any successor organization with ownership of the
specified patents will not take any enforcement action related to use of
those patents on or after March 27th, 2017; the specified patents may be
freely used with or without also making use of the source code.

Cheers,

William

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Andy Lutomirski <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/03/28/945815/0/e
> n/Security-Innovation-Makes-NTRUEncrypt-Patent-Free.html
>
> William
>
>
> "We are making the NTRUEncrypt patents available under the Creative
> Commons CC0 1.0 Universal License. By eliminating NTRUEncrypt patent
> hurdles, the industry can speed the adoption of quantum-resistant
> encryption, ensuring that the Internet remains secure long after the
> emergence of quantum computers," explained Peter Samson, President of
> OnBoard Security.
>