Subject: [Cfrg] RFC 8554 on Leighton-Micali Hash-Based Signatures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:59:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8554

        Title:      Leighton-Micali Hash-Based Signatures 
        Author:     D. McGrew,
                    M. Curcio,
                    S. Fluhrer
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      61
        Characters: 135954
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-mcgrew-hash-sigs-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8554

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8554

This note describes a digital-signature system based on cryptographic
hash functions, following the seminal work in this area of Lamport,
Diffie, Winternitz, and Merkle, as adapted by Leighton and Micali in
1995.  It specifies a one-time signature scheme and a general
signature scheme.  These systems provide asymmetric authentication
without using large integer mathematics and can achieve a high
security level.  They are suitable for compact implementations, are
relatively simple to implement, and are naturally resistant to
side-channel attacks.  Unlike many other signature systems, hash-based
signatures would still be secure even if it proves feasible for an
attacker to build a quantum computer.

This document is a product of the Crypto Forum Research Group (CFRG)
in the IRTF.  This has been reviewed by many researchers, both in the
research group and outside of it.  The Acknowledgements section lists
many of them.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC