Subject: [Cfrg] Ways of Working

From: Nick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 14:34:13 -0700

Dear CFRG,

In an effort to improve the transparency and velocity of the CFRG process,
the chairs would like to introduce a supplementary tool for developing and
tracking the development of adopted drafts: GitHub.

This tool has been adopted successfully in several IETF Working Groups with
positive results. GitHub has subjectively improved the quality and velocity
of the development of drafts by enabling tools such as the idnits tool
<https://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/> to be run automatically, by allowing
WG members to provide specific editorial suggestions in the form of Pull
Requests, and by enabling editors to organize issues reported by the WG.

Once a draft has been adopted as an RG Document, the draft will be given a
dedicated repository on the CFRG Github organization (github.com/cfrg) and
draft editors will be given administrative rights to this repository. The
materials in the GitHub repository do not constitute IRTF documents and
drafts must still be formally submitted to the Datatracker. Links to GitHub
issues or Pull Requests may be referenced on-list for convenience.

Any substantive decisions made during discussions on GitHub should be
summarized on the list to solicit input from the broader community before
being incorporated into a draft. The research group chairs will consult the
working group mailing list on any issue that is potentially contentious.

This process roughly follows the suggestions put forth in Martin Thomson's
BCP draft on using Github in the IETF:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-00

The use of GitHub is not mandatory. For now, using GitHub will be optional
for currently adopted drafts and recommended for future drafts.

- Nick, Kenny, Alexey