Subject: [Cfrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 07:25:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Oblivious Pseudorandom Functions (OPRFs) using Prime-Order Groups
        Authors         : Alex Davidson
                          Nick Sullivan
                          Christopher A. Wood
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf-03.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   An Oblivious Pseudorandom Function (OPRF) is a two-party protocol for
   computing the output of a PRF.  One party (the server) holds the PRF
   secret key, and the other (the client) holds the PRF input.  The
   'obliviousness' property ensures that the server does not learn
   anything about the client's input during the evaluation.  The client
   should also not learn anything about the server's secret PRF key.
   Optionally, OPRFs can also satisfy a notion 'verifiability' (VOPRF).
   In this setting, the client can verify that the server's output is
   indeed the result of evaluating the underlying PRF with just a public
   key.  This document specifies OPRF and VOPRF constructions
   instantiated within prime-order groups, including elliptic curves.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Alex Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 18:05:46 +0000

Dear CFRG,

This change to the OPRF draft includes minor clarifications plus the
following changes.

   - We now certify public key during VerifiableFinalize as per advice from
   Hugo Krawczyk (https://github.com/cfrg/draft-irtf-cfrg-voprf/issues/29).
   - Added text discussing how to perform domain separation for the OPRF
   primitive.
   - Make prime-order group assumptions explicit.
   - Changes to algorithms that accept batched inputs as they were not
   previously clear.
   - Changes to construction of batched DLEQ proofs.
   - Updated ciphersuites to be consistent with hash-to-curve and added
   OPRF specific ciphersuites.

In addition, we're currently working on a number of proof-of-concept
implementations of the primitive at https://github.com/alxdavids/voprf-poc
to demonstrate working examples of the protocol that follow the latest
version of the draft. The current implementations that we have are written
in Go and Rust. Contributions to these implementations, or of new
implementations in different languages, would be very welcome!

There is also a new draft detailing the Privacy Pass protocol that
explicitly uses the VOPRF protocol in this draft as a dependency:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-davidson-pp-protocol-00. There is a BoF
event planned at IETF 107 for privacy-pass that will discuss whether to
form a working group around the protocol.

Looking forward to hearing your comments,
Alex, Nick & Chris

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
>