Subject: [Cfrg] Key Schedule in MLS: NPRF

From: Chris Brzuska <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 17:56:55 +0300

Dear all,

if we have time in the meeting tonight, in the end, I would like to give 
a quick introduction to a change in the key schedule for Messaging Layer 
Security (MLS) which we are currently discussing in the MLS working 
group. It is a function - referred to as NPRF - to combine several keys 
such that the result is pseudorandom whenever at least one of the input 
keys is. This is different from how the key scheudle is currently 
implemented in TLS 1.3 and based on understanding emerging from 
analyzing the TLS 1.3 Key Schedule.

If you are curious, you can have a look here 
http://chrisbrzuska.de/2020-NPRF.html .

Specifically, I recommend Figure 7, Figure 8 and Figure 9.

Apologies for the short notice and for not following the standardized 
format of communication. I only learnt about the meeting yesterday in 
our MLS Working Group Meeting. I will join the meeting half an our 
before the end in case there is time for this MLS discussion in the very 
end.

Thanks

Chris