Subject: [Cfrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 05:42:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Pairing-Friendly Curves
        Authors         : Yumi Sakemi
                          Tetsutaro Kobayashi
                          Tsunekazu Saito
                          Riad S. Wahby
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-08.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2020-09-30

Abstract:
   Pairing-based cryptography, a subfield of elliptic curve
   cryptography, has received attention due to its flexible and
   practical functionality.  Pairings are special maps defined using
   elliptic curves and it can be applied to construct several
   cryptographic protocols such as identity-based encryption, attribute-
   based encryption, and so on.  At CRYPTO 2016, Kim and Barbulescu
   proposed an efficient number field sieve algorithm named exTNFS for
   the discrete logarithm problem in a finite field.  Several types of
   pairing-friendly curves such as Barreto-Naehrig curves are affected
   by the attack.  In particular, a Barreto-Naehrig curve with a 254-bit
   characteristic was adopted by a lot of cryptographic libraries as a
   parameter of 128-bit security, however, it ensures no more than the
   100-bit security level due to the effect of the attack.  In this
   memo, we list the security levels of certain pairing-friendly curves,
   and motivate our choices of curves.  First, we summarize the adoption
   status of pairing-friendly curves in standards, libraries and
   applications, and classify them in the 128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit
   security levels.  Then, from the viewpoints of "security" and "widely
   used", we select the recommended pairing-friendly curves considering
   exTNFS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/

There is also a HTML versions available at:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-08.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Yumi Sakemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 21:48:18 +0900

Dear CFRG members

We submitted the version 08 of the draft "Pairing-Friendly Curves".

In the latest draft, about 50 comments given from CFRG members after
the RGLC were considered and reflected, as necessary.
We greatly appreciate Rene and Armando for a lot of comments!

We have deeply discussed the received comments, and our consideration
results were answered one by one on CFRG's official GitHub page.
You can check them by the following page.
If you find any issues with the revisions, we'd be glad to contact from you.
https://github.com/cfrg/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/issues

Many of the revisions are editorial, adding citations, a revision of
Table1 and to make the description of the fundamental technology more
detailed.
Regarding Table 1, several CFRG members complained that it was too
large, so we leave only the adoption status with safe parameters in
the main section and move the rest to the appendix.

The 08 version is unchanged in the essence of the proposal, and the
quality of the draft is improved through editorial comments and more
detailed technical explanations.

Best regards,
Yumi

2020年9月30日(水) 21:42 <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

-- 
Yumi Sakemi, Ph. D.
Lepidum Co. Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]