Subject: Re: [CFRG] please use real names (was: Re: Small subgroup question for draft-irtf-cfrg-hash-to-curve)

From: isis agora lovecruft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 06:04:43 +0000

Filippo Valsorda transcribed 2.4K bytes:
> 2021-04-10 17:34 GMT+02:00 Rene Struik <[email-masked] <mailto:rstruik.ext%40gmail.com>>:
> > Hi "rsw":
> > 
> > As a general courtesy, may I suggest that all communications use 
> > people's real names and not some obscure acronym.
> > 
> > The CFRG is supposed to be a research forum, where people do not hide 
> > their identity. In fact, in my opinion, IETF should have no place for 
> > communications by "anonymous".
> 
> I am not aware of any real name rules in IETF forums.
> 
> The field of cryptography has benefited greatly from the contributions of pseudonymous and anonymous people, so I see no reason why the *Crypto Forum Research Group* should exclude them.

Hello,

I know I'm late in the game as I saw this thread a couple weeks ago.  Apologies.

Filippo has a good point.  Also, likely many on this list knew Satoshi (a
pseudonym, duh), and it's not really up for debate that that person's endeavours
have been some substantial contributions to our field.  Further, as a
transgender person, it would be extremely hostile and regressive to require a
"real name" policy for contributors to cryptographic design efforts.  Often
people do not wish to use their "real" name, and there may be many reasons for
this.

Additionally, in terms of content moderation, there is usually a clear
distinction between someone using a "pseudonym" or preferred name genuinely, and
those using pseudonymity to spread hatred or false information.

@rsw: Please continue your interactions with us under any handle or name you
feel is comfortable and appropriate, and we thank you for your time and
thoughts.

Best regards,
-- 
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft
_________________________________________________________
OpenPGP: 4096R/0A6A58A14B5946ABDE18E207A3ADB67A2CDB8B35
Current Keys: https://fyb.patternsinthevoid.net/isis.txt