Subject: [CFRG] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10.txt

From: Yumi Sakemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 00:37:59 +0900

Dear CFRG members

We submitted the version 10 of the draft "Pairing-Friendly Curves".

In the latest draft, we update our draft according to the content of
the reply letter to Rene.
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cfrg/-1nTbbVRlkP5wV2odEYFac-jK08/

For more information, please access the following URL.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/

Best regards,
Yumi

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 2021年7月31日(土) 0:35
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10.txt
To: Riad S. Wahby <[email-masked]>, Tetsutaro Kobayashi
<[email-masked]>, Tsunekazu Saito
<[email-masked]>, Yumi Sakemi
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10.txt
has been successfully submitted by Yumi Sakemi and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves
Revision:       10
Title:          Pairing-Friendly Curves
Document date:  2021-07-30
Group:          cfrg
Pages:          54
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/
Html:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10.html
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-10

Abstract:
   Pairing-based cryptography, a subfield of elliptic curve
   cryptography, has received attention due to its flexible and
   practical functionality.  Pairings are special maps defined using
   elliptic curves and it can be applied to construct several
   cryptographic protocols such as identity-based encryption, attribute-
   based encryption, and so on.  At CRYPTO 2016, Kim and Barbulescu
   proposed an efficient number field sieve algorithm named exTNFS for
   the discrete logarithm problem in a finite field.  Several types of
   pairing-friendly curves such as Barreto-Naehrig curves are affected
   by the attack.  In particular, a Barreto-Naehrig curve with a 254-bit
   characteristic was adopted by a lot of cryptographic libraries as a
   parameter of 128-bit security, however, it ensures no more than the
   100-bit security level due to the effect of the attack.  In this
   memo, we list the security levels of certain pairing-friendly curves,
   and motivate our choices of curves.  First, we summarize the adoption
   status of pairing-friendly curves in standards, libraries and
   applications, and classify them in the 128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit
   security levels.  Then, from the viewpoints of "security" and "widely
   used", we select the recommended pairing-friendly curves considering
   exTNFS.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Yumi Sakemi, Ph. D.
 Infours Inc.

E-Mail: [email-masked]