Subject: [cicm] Support for a Common Interface for Cryptographic Modules

From: "Ridge, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:09:23 -0400

To the CICM Forum,

  I wanted to express my support for approval of the CICM standard. A common
standard for Crypto interfaces is a foundation for improvements in
interoperability and reductions in cost of cryptographic solutions. What is
helpful to me is a solution approvable for cryptographic interfaces to
include High Assurance cryptographic solutions. The fact that the interface
is acceptable for High Assurance solutions and implementable in products
with lower robustness is credit to the Engineers involved and the group at
large.

  In the mid 1990's the automotive world standardized on "On Board
Diagnostics II" (OBD II) interfaces for reading fault indicators from
automobiles. This then allowed standardized diagnostics between
manufacturers, significantly reducing costs at repair shops and improving
equipment available. Today every automobile sold in the world has an OBD-II
interface - from the $4000 Tata Nano to the $400,000 Rolls Royce Phantom
(not that I take my Rolls just anywhere..). My point being that CICM could
likely be applied across the spectrum of crypto solutions just like OBD II
has become the standard for automobiles.

Mike Ridge