Subject: [clue] virtual space (multi-view) use case

From: "Gorzynski, Mark E (The Right One)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 01:18:09 +0000

Greetings,

It occurs to me that one use case commonly represented in products on the market today may not have been fully described.  It has been referred to as a "multi-view" use case since it deals with cameras at different viewpoints aimed at the same area of an endpoint.  However we use the term "virtual space" for this use case since it has been called by this name in the literature (see below).

1. Virtual Space Multipoint

This use case describes a virtual space multipoint video meeting with good eye contact and spatial layout of participants.  The use case was proposed very early in the development of video conferencing systems as described in 1983 by Allardyce and Randal (http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA127738  ).  The use case is illustrated in figure 2-5 of their report.  Today, the use case is implemented in multiple telepresence type video conferencing systems on the market.  The term "virtual space" was used in their report.  The main difference between the result obtained with modern systems and those from 1983 are larger display sizes.

Virtual space multipoint as defined here assumes endpoints with multiple cameras and displays.  Usually there are the same number of cameras and displays at a given endpoint.  A camera is positioned above each display.  A key aspect of virtual space multipoint is the details of how the cameras are aimed.  The cameras are each aimed on the same area of view of the participants at the site.  Thus each camera takes a picture of the same set of people but from a different angle.  Each endpoint sender in the virtual space multipoint meeting therefore offers a choice of video streams to remote receivers, each stream representing a different view point.  For example a camera positioned above a display to a participant's left may take video pictures of the participant's left ear while at the same time, a camera positioned above a display to the participant's right may take video pictures of the participant's right ear.

Since a sending endpoint has a camera associated with each display, an association is made between the receiving stream output on a particular display and the corresponding sending stream from the camera associated with that display.  These associations are repeated for each display/camera pair in a meeting.  The result of this system is a horizontal arrangement of video images from remote sites, one per display.  The image from each display is paired with the camera output from the camera above that display resulting in excellent eye contact.

Best Regards,

Mark Gorzynski
HP Visual Collaboration

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:03:06 -0400

+1

(I work on a product which fits this use case). 

Peter Musgrave

On 2011-05-11, at 9:18 PM, Gorzynski, Mark E (The Right One) wrote:

> Greetings,
>  
> It occurs to me that one use case commonly represented in products on the market today may not have been fully described.  It has been referred to as a “multi-view” use case since it deals with cameras at different viewpoints aimed at the same area of an endpoint.  However we use the term “virtual space” for this use case since it has been called by this name in the literature (see below).
>  
> This use case describes a virtual space multipoint video meeting with good eye contact and spatial layout of participants.  The use case was proposed very early in the development of video conferencing systems as described in 1983 by Allardyce and Randal (http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA127738  ).  The use case is illustrated in figure 2-5 of their report.  Today, the use case is implemented in multiple telepresence type video conferencing systems on the market.  The term “virtual space” was used in their report.  The main difference between the result obtained with modern systems and those from 1983 are larger display sizes.
>  
> Virtual space multipoint as defined here assumes endpoints with multiple cameras and displays.  Usually there are the same number of cameras and displays at a given endpoint.  A camera is positioned above each display.  A key aspect of virtual space multipoint is the details of how the cameras are aimed.  The cameras are each aimed on the same area of view of the participants at the site.  Thus each camera takes a picture of the same set of people but from a different angle.  Each endpoint sender in the virtual space multipoint meeting therefore offers a choice of video streams to remote receivers, each stream representing a different view point.  For example a camera positioned above a display to a participant’s left may take video pictures of the participant’s left ear while at the same time, a camera positioned above a display to the participant’s right may take video pictures of the participant’s right ear.
>  
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue

---

From: "Gorzynski, Mark E (The Right One)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:17:15 +0000

I also should make it clear that the "virtual space" use case below DOES NOT cover multiview displays.  This is also a reason why I used a term like "virtual space" rather than multiview.

There already are definitions for multiview and 3D/Stereo.  If we define a multiview display as a display that produces different images when viewed from different angles.  I am NOT covering use of these displays in this use case.

The use case below assumes standard single view displays where "single view" means the display produces one image regardless of viewing angle.

Further, I am assuming that multiview displays are not within scope of a first output of CLUE but realize this may not be what others understand.  We should be clear on this scope because it would have strong impact on the work.

Regards, Mark.

Mark Gorzynski
HP

From: Peter Musgrave [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:03 AM
To: Gorzynski, Mark E (The Right One)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [clue] virtual space (multi-view) use case

+1

Peter Musgrave

Greetings,

Best Regards,

Mark Gorzynski
HP Visual Collaboration

_______________________________________________
clue mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 09:17:47 +0300

Hi Mark,

I am trying to see how to fit this case in the use-cases draft. When I
ignore the term "virtual space" and look at the description it talks about
describing the view point of each cameras that may overlap and allowing the
receivers to select the view they want. I see some resemblance to the
education usage described. 

Will it make sense to mention that the camera can provide different view in
the point to point symmetric or asymmetric case which has a case with a PTZ
camera.

Regards

Roni

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Gorzynski, Mark E (The Right One)
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clue] virtual space (multi-view) use case

Greetings,

It occurs to me that one use case commonly represented in products on the
market today may not have been fully described.  It has been referred to as
a "multi-view" use case since it deals with cameras at different viewpoints
aimed at the same area of an endpoint.  However we use the term "virtual
space" for this use case since it has been called by this name in the
literature (see below).

This use case describes a virtual space multipoint video meeting with good
eye contact and spatial layout of participants.  The use case was proposed
very early in the development of video conferencing systems as described in
1983 by Allardyce and Randal (http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA127738  ).
The use case is illustrated in figure 2-5 of their report.  Today, the use
case is implemented in multiple telepresence type video conferencing systems
on the market.  The term "virtual space" was used in their report.  The main
difference between the result obtained with modern systems and those from
1983 are larger display sizes.

Virtual space multipoint as defined here assumes endpoints with multiple
cameras and displays.  Usually there are the same number of cameras and
displays at a given endpoint.  A camera is positioned above each display.  A
key aspect of virtual space multipoint is the details of how the cameras are
aimed.  The cameras are each aimed on the same area of view of the
participants at the site.  Thus each camera takes a picture of the same set
of people but from a different angle.  Each endpoint sender in the virtual
space multipoint meeting therefore offers a choice of video streams to
remote receivers, each stream representing a different view point.  For
example a camera positioned above a display to a participant's left may take
video pictures of the participant's left ear while at the same time, a
camera positioned above a display to the participant's right may take video
pictures of the participant's right ear. 

Since a sending endpoint has a camera associated with each display, an
association is made between the receiving stream output on a particular
display and the corresponding sending stream from the camera associated with
that display.  These associations are repeated for each display/camera pair
in a meeting.  The result of this system is a horizontal arrangement of
video images from remote sites, one per display.  The image from each
display is paired with the camera output from the camera above that display
resulting in excellent eye contact. 

Best Regards,

Mark Gorzynski

HP Visual Collaboration