Subject: [clue] definition-01 posted

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:36:05 -0700

Hi all,
I just posted draft-wenger-clue-definitions-01, in an attempt to reflect the
outcome of the mailing list discussions of the last few months.  I'm sure I
missed a number of points.  Below are those I didn't miss (from the change
log).
Stephan

   01: 

   removed "stage direction" in "left" "right".  Replaced with "to
   be interpreted in context".

   clarified "local" to mean "in the same room" per J. Polk email
   6/14/11

   Consistently refer to "loudspeaker" per Christer's email 6/13/11

   Added "keyboard" to listed caputure devices per Christer's email
   6/13/11

   Rendering device: changed "optical" to "visual".  Hope Christer finds
   this OK.  Per Christer's email 6/13/11

   Note: the other changes proposed by Christer in his 6/13 email appear
   to change more than just words but semantics.  Not included here as
   such semantic changes are best handled in the requirement and other
   docs.

   Edt. Note: there have been lengthily discussions about the term
   "Participant".  One camp wanted the word to refer to human users of
   telepresence equipment so to use intuitive language, the other (as
   this document) suggests to use the word in the RFC

   Participant defined as per RFC 4353.  I think this is what we arrived
   at on the mailing list, right?

   Added "Telepresence Extensions" per long "solutions" thread.

---

From: Stephen Botzko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:42:58 -0400

inline

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just posted draft-wenger-clue-definitions-01, in an attempt to reflect
> the outcome of the mailing list discussions of the last few months.  I'm
> sure I missed a number of points.  Below are those I didn't miss (from the
> change log).
> Stephan
>
>
>    01:
>

That is my interpretation of the outcome on the list (as someone who is in
the "human users" camp).  In the end I think we settled on the 4353
definition in order to be consistent with normal IETF usage.

Stephen Botzko

> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>
>

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:41:00 +1000

Hello Stephan,

I think you may have given me a name change, I think you are referring 
to my (Christian's) email rather than "Christer's".

A few comments:
-------------------------
My previous comment was:  Remote: "A remote can be an Endpoint or an 
MCU". I don't think "remote" is being proposed to be a noun by the 
definition. Perhaps "A remote <entity> can be...."?
This wasn't picked up and I don't think its about changing semantics, 
its editorial as it doesn't read right. Some different options:
a) Remote can be used to describe an Endpoint or MCU.
b) A Remote entity can be an Endpoint or an MCU.
c) Delete "A remote can be an Endpoint or MCU". This sentence isn't used 
for the local definition, so its questionable why its in the remote 
definition.

Also my previous comment regarding the definition of Audio mixing I 
don't think falls into the "semantic/requirements" realm. The definition 
of "Audio Mixing" says "... See RTP Topologies, [RFC5117]". There's no 
use of "audio mix*" in RFC5117. If you are referring to "Topo-Mixer" 
then I think it would be good to mention it. If its something more then 
we should mention that.

Regards, Christian

On 12/07/2011 8:36 AM, Stephan Wenger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just posted draft-wenger-clue-definitions-01, in an attempt to 
> reflect the outcome of the mailing list discussions of the last few 
> months.  I'm sure I missed a number of points.  Below are those I 
> didn't miss (from the change log).
> Stephan
>
>
>    01:
>

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:28:05 -0700

Christian,
I profoundly apologize for butchering your name.
Regarding your other points, let's have a chat in Quebec.  At the moment,
I'm packing my bags for the JCT-VC video meeting in Torino, and my mind is
on that meeting...
Stephan