Subject: [clue] MCU from H.323

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:20:26 +0300

Hi

multipoint control unit: The Multipoint Control Unit (MCU) is an endpoint on
the network which provides the capability for three or more terminals and
Gateways to participate in a multipoint conference. It may also connect two
terminals in a point-to-point conference which may later develop into a
multipoint conference. The MCU generally operates in the fashion of an H.231
MCU; however, an audio processor is not mandatory. The MCU consists of two
parts: a mandatory Multipoint Controller and optional Multipoint Processors.
In the simplest case, an MCU may consist only of an MC with no MPs. An MCU
may also be brought into a conference by the Gatekeeper without being
explicitly called by one of the endpoints.

3.35      multipoint controller: The Multipoint Controller (MC) is an H.323
entity on the network which provides for the control of three or more
terminals participating in a multipoint conference. It may also connect two
terminals in a point-to-point conference which may later develop into a
multipoint conference. The MC provides for capability negotiation with all
terminals to achieve common levels of communications. It may also control
conference resources such as who is multicasting video. The MC does not
perform mixing or switching of audio, video and data.

3.36      multipoint processor: The Multipoint Processor (MP) is an H.323
entity on the network which provides for the centralized processing of
audio, video and/or data streams in a multipoint conference. The MP provides
for the mixing, switching or other processing of media streams under the
control of the MC. The MP may process a single media stream or multiple
media streams depending on the type of conference supported.

Roni