Subject: [clue] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-clue-protocol-17: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 12:31:45 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-clue-protocol-17: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-clue-protocol/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This document does not discuss any interactions with the transport protocol
(e.g. who establishes the connection? what happens if the connections breaks;
who should re-establish?). Also, I assume that SCTP is used (instead of TCP)
because the idea is to use different SCTP streams for the different directions
of the communication...? However, this is a complete guess, as the document
does unfortunately not say nothing about the mapping of CLUE messages to SCTP
sessions. In case all message are assumed to be send over the same stream
instead, why is SCTP used and not TCP? Please provide more information and
guidance on the use of SCTP!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two minor editorial commets:

1) In the terminology section: What does MCU actually stand for?

2) sec 4:
"CLUE protocol version numbers are
   characterized by a major version number (single digit) and a minor
   version number (single digit)..."
However, later on the text says that the numbers can also consist of multiple digits...