Subject: You have been added to the CNRP-IETF list

From: "L-Soft list server at LISTS.INTERNIC.NET (1.8d)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:37:01 -0400

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:37:01

You have  been added to  the CNRP-IETF  mailing list (CNRP-IETF  List) by
Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you are subscribing to an electronic mailing list. If you ever
need to leave  the list, you will find the  necessary instructions below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send  mail to [email-masked]. This  is called "sending
mail to the list," because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([email-masked])  is also  called the  "list address."  You
must  never try  to send  any command  to that  address, as  it would  be
distributed to all  the people who have subscribed. All  commands must be
sent to  the "LISTSERV address," [email-masked].  It is very
important to understand  the difference between the  two, but fortunately
it is  not complicated. The  LISTSERV address is  like a FAX  number that
connects you  to a  machine, whereas  the list address  is like  a normal
voice line connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the
FAX number  when you  wanted to talk  to someone on  the phone,  you will
quickly realize  that you used the  wrong number and call  again. No harm
will have been done. If on the  other hand you accidentally make your FAX
call  someone's  voice  line,  the  person receiving  the  call  will  be
inconvenienced, especially if your FAX then re-dials every 5 minutes. The
fact that  most people  will eventually  connect the  FAX machine  to the
voice line to  allow the FAX to  go through and make the  calls stop does
not mean  that you  should continue  to send FAXes  to the  voice number.
People would just get mad at you.  It works pretty much the same way with
mailing  lists, with  the difference  that  you are  calling hundreds  or
thousands of people  at the same time, and consequently  you can expect a
lot of people to get upset if  you consistently send commands to the list
address.

You  may leave  the list  at any  time by  sending a  "SIGNOFF CNRP-IETF"
command to  [email-masked]. You  can also tell  LISTSERV how
you want it to  confirm the receipt of messages you send  to the list. If
you do  not trust the  system, send a  "SET CNRP-IETF REPRO"  command and
LISTSERV will send you  a copy of your own messages, so  that you can see
that the  message was  distributed and  did not get  damaged on  the way.
After a while  you may find that this is  getting annoying, especially if
your mail program does not tell you  that the message is from you when it
informs you that new mail has arrived  from CNRP-IETF. If you send a "SET
CNRP-IETF  ACK  NOREPRO"   command,  LISTSERV  will  mail   you  a  short
acknowledgement  instead,  which  will  look different  in  your  mailbox
directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this is
an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn  off
acknowledgements completely with "SET CNRP-IETF NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been set to "NOFILES REPRO" rather than the usual LISTSERV defaults.
For more information about subscription options, send a "QUERY CNRP-IETF"
command to [email-masked].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list  of the  available archive  files  by sending  an "INDEX  CNRP-IETF"
command to  [email-masked]. You  can then order  these files
with  a "GET  CNRP-IETF LOGxxxx"  command, or  using LISTSERV's  database
search facilities. Send  an "INFO DATABASE" command  for more information
on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version of  the postings,  just  issue a  SET CNRP-IETF  DIGEST
command.

Please note that  it is presently possible for other  people to determine
that  you are  signed up  to the  list through  the use  of the  "REVIEW"
command,  which  returns   the  e-mail  address  and  name   of  all  the
subscribers. If  you do not  want your name to  be visible, just  issue a
"SET CNRP-IETF CONCEAL" command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked].