Subject: Re: CNRP based service?

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:40:22 -0700

Theinternational domain names are resolving through RealNames Keywords
resolvers.
It is not based on CNRP as the existing versions of IE does not implement
CNRP (CNRP is not an RFC yet), but the resolution still happens through a
common name resolution system.
The way it works is as follows.

0. The user types ML.com
1. The browser tries DNS but it fails
2. The browser then tries the RealNames Keyword resolution system (using a
simple HTTP query interface)
3. The Keywords resolver recognizes the suffix .com (or .org or .net). It
namepreps the ML string and encodes it using RACE encoding (DUDE tomorrow)
according to the iDN Working Group drafts.
4. The resolver redirects the browser to bq--xxxx.mtbld.com (the Verisign
testbed)
5. DNS and the test bed do the rest

The nice thing about this approach is that:

. No change is required at the client or at the ISP level.
. It is a server side implementation that can quickly be changed as the iDN
standard is finalized (we can backward enable IE with the final iDN standard
so that iDN names reolve properly). However, note that the name displayed in
the browser bar is the ascii encoded name not the language friendly name
that was typed initially.

Obviously, it only works in IE at this point (where the keyword resolution
mechanism is built-in), but Web browsing is clearly a key application.

Although, this is not specifically using CNRP, this is a great example of
the kind of things (extended naming services) that can be implemented
through CNRP enabled applications.

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Kazuo NISHIYAMA [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 3:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CNRP based service?

Hello, I'm a newcomer of this ML.

I found following news.

> VeriSign Announces Breakthrough in Web Navigation
> For Tens of Millions of Users Worldwide
>
> Users can now reach Web sites via domain names in
> their own languages through Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
>
> http://corporate.verisign.com/news/2001/pr_20010620.html

Is this service uses CNRP or different technology?

---
Kazuo NISHIYAMA
[email-masked]

---

From: James Seng/Personal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:01:32 +0800

Would it be okay for you write this properly into an I-D for the
information of the IDN Working Group?

*cheers*

-James Seng

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:55:18 +0200

> information of the IDN Working Group?

Be very careful what you ask for.

A number of people have asked me privately if this "really" is something
which has anything to do with domain names.

One can say it does (because it starts by looking up something in DNS).

One can say it doesn't (because it doesn't use DNS for the resolution
process).

My response is (partly because the press release so explicitly talked about
the domain name system ;-) that I feel this is more an embryo to a
directory/search service on top of DNS than a DNS thing. And, I hope that
the people building this look at it that way, and not a way to "screw" the
development of DNS.

I.e. DNS is the most valuable jewel we have in the IETF portfolio of
protocols I claim. Everything needs to use DNS. Redefining DNS, and doing
the resolution differently for DNS might be needed, but, that is a
completely different question than whether we should have directory /
search services like this which leads to a domain name.

    paf

>> Is this service uses CNRP or different technology?

Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>                         Cisco Systems
Consulting Engineer                                  Office of the CSO
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-6859131            (San Jose) +1-408-525-8509
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC

---

From: James Seng/Personal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:29:07 +0800

Patrik,

Whether it is DNS or Directory, it is a deployed solution (and by a
major registry no less) that claims to solve the IDN problem space (at
least according to their PR).

Any I-D would be useful for the WG for evaluation. IMHO, it is better
than nothing at all, which would only adds more confusion.

-James Seng

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: CNRP based service?

> >> 3. The Keywords resolver recognizes the suffix .com (or .org or
.net).
> > It
> >> Although, this is not specifically using CNRP, this is a great
example
> > of