Subject: [Coin] Compute-first-networking side meeting on Thursday

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 08:25:24 -0800

This is very much related to the COIN activities so many of you may be
interested by this side meeting  from the RTG area on Thursday am Nov. 21
at 8:30am.

CFN (Compute First Networking) enables network to route service in real
time based on computing load):

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/106sidemeetings#Room:VIPA-Thursday

I would welcome the organizers of that meeting to our COINRG meeting on
Friday also as CFN is one of our research topics.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:43:37 -0800

And since a lot of you were or are still involved in CFN research here are
the drafts for Thursday:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-rtgwg-cfn-framework/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-geng-rtgwg-cfn-req/

If the authors of these draft would like to talk about them in COIN on
Friday we can accomodate a small presentation.

mjm

On November 16, 2019 at 12:25:24 AM, Marie-Jose Montpetit (
[email-masked]) wrote:

mjm

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 14:05:49 -0800

Another CFN draft:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gu-rtgwg-cfn-field-trial-00

mjm

On November 16, 2019 at 5:43:37 AM, Marie-Jose Montpetit (
[email-masked]) wrote:

mjm

mjm

---

From: "Hejianfei (Jeffrey)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 01:25:06 +0000

Hi Marie-Jose and COIN,
chair-hat-off…
As one of the authors in one of these draft, I am happy to give a short presentation in the COIN meeting on Friday, if you are interested. Below are some background in advance besides these three drafts.
That side meeting is to address the “network for edge computing”, but to target a near-term objective since the MEC for 5G, will probably roll out soon, say in 2020. The issues to address are, if the service instances in MEC are “equivalent” to the clients in some degree, how can we leverage the “anycast” capability in the network to optimize the load balance and delay between the clients and service instances. Essentially that solution is to enhance the control plane for “anycast” and reuse the data plane of current routers. But to achieve the dynamism and flow affinity at the same time, there are some tricky technical issues to address.
China Mobile and us implemented a prototype and have done a field trial in China Mobile’s MEC sites in Hangzhou, China, to illustrate the feasibility and demonstrate how it works. This will also be introduced in this side meting this Thursday.
If you are interested, welcome to join the side meeting: Thursday (21st  Nov) morning at 8:30 in Room VIP A.
Cheers,
Jeffrey

发件人: Coin [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Marie-Jose Montpetit
发送时间: 2019年11月16日 6:06
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [Coin] Compute-first-networking side meeting on Thursday

Another CFN draft:

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

On November 16, 2019 at 5:43:37 AM, Marie-Jose Montpetit ([email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>) wrote:
And since a lot of you were or are still involved in CFN research here are the drafts for Thursday:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-rtgwg-cfn-framework/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-geng-rtgwg-cfn-req/

If the authors of these draft would like to talk about them in COIN on Friday we can accomodate a small presentation.

mjm

On November 16, 2019 at 12:25:24 AM, Marie-Jose Montpetit ([email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>) wrote:
This is very much related to the COIN activities so many of you may be interested by this side meeting  from the RTG area on Thursday am Nov. 21 at 8:30am.

CFN (Compute First Networking) enables network to route service in real time based on computing load):

I would welcome the organizers of that meeting to our COINRG meeting on Friday also as CFN is one of our research topics.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:27:57 -0600

(chair hat on) I will add you and the draft you co-authored to the Friday
agenda.

Thank you!

mjm

On November 16, 2019 at 9:25:27 AM, Hejianfei (Jeffrey) (
[email-masked]) wrote:

Hi Marie-Jose and COIN,

chair-hat-off…

As one of the authors in one of these draft, I am happy to give a short
presentation in the COIN meeting on Friday, if you are interested. Below
are some background in advance besides these three drafts.

That side meeting is to address the “network for edge computing”, but to
target a near-term objective since the MEC for 5G, will probably roll out
soon, say in 2020. The issues to address are, if the service instances in
MEC are “equivalent” to the clients in some degree, how can we leverage the
“anycast” capability in the network to optimize the load balance and delay
between the clients and service instances. Essentially that solution is to
enhance the control plane for “anycast” and reuse the data plane of current
routers. But to achieve the dynamism and flow affinity at the same time,
there are some tricky technical issues to address.

China Mobile and us implemented a prototype and have done a field trial in
China Mobile’s MEC sites in Hangzhou, China, to illustrate the feasibility
and demonstrate how it works. This will also be introduced in this side
meting this Thursday.

If you are interested, welcome to join the side meeting: Thursday (21st
Nov) morning at 8:30 in Room VIP A.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

*发件人:* Coin [mailto:[email-masked]] *代表 *Marie-Jose Montpetit
*发送时间:* 2019年11月16日 6:06
*收件人:* [email-masked]
*主题:* Re: [Coin] Compute-first-networking side meeting on Thursday

Another CFN draft:

mjm

[email-masked]

mjm

mjm

[email-masked]

-- 
Coin mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin