Subject: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:42:25 +0200

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]

# ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

* Proposal Deadline: 30 June, 2021
* Conference: 6-12 December 2021

ACM CoNEXT 2021 (https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021), to be
virtually held in Munich, Germany, is soliciting proposals for one-day
workshops to be co-located with the main conference. The workshops are
considered an integral part of the conference and will be fully
incorporated into its logistical and budget planning
process. Workshops are not required to bring their own sponsorship but
other possibilities will be studied on a case by case basis. Workshop
papers will be published in the same set of proceedings as the
conference, and will be available on the ACM Digital Library. The
workshops should be on original and timely topics of relevance to the
CoNEXT community, and aimed at fostering lively discussions and
technical exchanges among participants. Workshop proposals sent in
response to this open call should include the following material:

* A brief statement of interest including a description and rationale
    for the workshop topic and its relevance to the CoNEXT community,
    as well as a comparison with existing workshops on related topics,
    if applicable.

* A draft call for papers, including names and affiliations of
    workshop chairs and a tentative list of TPC members (as complete as
    possible).

* Suggestions about possible keynote speakers and/or panel members.

* The planned workshop deadlines, both internal and external (see
    below).

* An expected number of submissions, accepted papers, and attendees
    (if known).

* A description of any past instances of the proposed workshop,
    including number of submissions, accepted papers, and attendees.

* A list of people whom you have solicited (or plan to solicit) to
    participate at the workshop. If the workshop is interdisciplinary,
    please provide details about your plans to advertise to other
    communities and how you intend to encourage participation at the
    workshop.

The workshop organizers should also take into account the following
practical considerations:

* ACM CoNEXT 2021 and Workshops will be virtual-only events.
     Facilities for remote participation will be provided by ACM CoNEXT
     2021.

* All of the Workshops for ACM CoNEXT 2021 should have the same
    deadlines (e.g. submission and camera-ready deadlines), to
    facilitate coordination with other aspects of the conference
    organization. Deadline extensions should be coordinated with the
    Workshop and Publication chair(s).  The camera-ready deadline will
    be October 25.

* Individual Workshop organizers will be expected to be responsible
    for managing their workshop and for coordination with the Virtual
    Experience chair(s) of ACM CoNEXT 2021 for (virtual) facilities,
    and with the Publication chair(s) for camera-ready papers.

* Individual Workshop organizers will be responsible for setting up
    the paper submission site and review process, as well as for their
    individual web page design in coordination with the ACM CoNEXT 2021
    Web chair(s).

* Individual Workshop organizers are welcome to invite keynote
    speakers.  The speakers will receive complimentary registration for
    the workshop and conference. There is no accommodation for other
    expenses.

If you have questions about your workshop proposal, do not hesitate to
contact the Workshop Chairs, Dirk Kutscher and Laura Marie Feeney, at
conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de.

More information about ACM CoNEXT 2021 is available at
https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021

Proposals should be submitted as ASCII text or PDF files only, via
email to: conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de​.

The workshop selection will be made by the Workshop chairs in
consultation with the General chairs and the Steering Committee.
Please submit the workshop proposal by June 30th, 2021.  We will
notify all proposers by July 9th, 2021.

[ACM CoNEXT-2021 Call for 
Workshops](https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021/#!/cfw)

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 17:07:15 +0200

Dear COIN Community:

it had been suggested we organize a workshop on COIN related topics and I
think this is a wonderful opportunity.

I suggest to focus on next gen-Iot as this is a major topic for our RG as
well as in different research communities as it reaches into storage/cache
networks, data-centric systems and edge networking/computing all of which
are impacted by computing in (and on) the network.

Will prepare a proposal and request comments.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: May 13, 2021 at 9:43:24 AM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Cc: L M Feeney <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]
ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

   - Proposal Deadline: 30 June, 2021
   - Conference: 6-12 December 2021

   -

   A brief statement of interest including a description and rationale
   for the workshop topic and its relevance to the CoNEXT community,
   as well as a comparison with existing workshops on related topics,
   if applicable.
   -

   A draft call for papers, including names and affiliations of
   workshop chairs and a tentative list of TPC members (as complete as
   possible).
   -

   Suggestions about possible keynote speakers and/or panel members.
   -

   The planned workshop deadlines, both internal and external (see
   below).
   -

   An expected number of submissions, accepted papers, and attendees
   (if known).
   -

   A description of any past instances of the proposed workshop,
   including number of submissions, accepted papers, and attendees.
   -

   A list of people whom you have solicited (or plan to solicit) to
   participate at the workshop. If the workshop is interdisciplinary,
   please provide details about your plans to advertise to other
   communities and how you intend to encourage participation at the
   workshop.

   -

   ACM CoNEXT 2021 and Workshops will be virtual-only events.
   Facilities for remote participation will be provided by ACM CoNEXT
   2021.
   -

   All of the Workshops for ACM CoNEXT 2021 should have the same
   -

   Individual Workshop organizers will be expected to be responsible
   for managing their workshop and for coordination with the Virtual
   Experience chair(s) of ACM CoNEXT 2021 for (virtual) facilities,
   and with the Publication chair(s) for camera-ready papers.
   -

   Individual Workshop organizers will be responsible for setting up
   the paper submission site and review process, as well as for their
   individual web page design in coordination with the ACM CoNEXT 2021
   Web chair(s).
   -

   Individual Workshop organizers are welcome to invite keynote
   speakers. The speakers will receive complimentary registration for
   the workshop and conference. There is no accommodation for other
   expenses.

ACM CoNEXT-2021 Call for Workshops
<https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021/#!/cfw>
-- 
Coin mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin

---

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 10:52:26 +0100

Hi Marie-Jose, All,

I agree IoT is a great use case of COIN. However, I think a huge focus on IoT may reduce the scope and hence the number/quality of papers. Besides, there are MANY workshops on IoT-related topics. :-)

My take is that I see COIN broader in scope, both in terms of use cases (for instance, network-assisted distributed applications such as key-value stores or coordination mechanisms; ML running in the network; and several others), and even broadly in terms of topics, including programming languages (P4, NPL, C-variants, HDLs, etc.), different targets with different computing architectures and hence possibilities (SoC/ASIC/FPGA-based smartNICs, programmable switching ASICs, DPDK-accelerated hosts, etc.)  

In summary, I’m afraid narrowing the scope to IoT may also reduce the interest in the workshop.

Just my 2 cents — I may well be wrong on this. :-)

Fernando

> On 13 May 2021, at 16:07, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear COIN Community:
> 
> it had been suggested we organize a workshop on COIN related topics and I think this is a wonderful opportunity.
> 
> I suggest to focus on next gen-Iot as this is a major topic for our RG as well as in different research communities as it reaches into storage/cache networks, data-centric systems and edge networking/computing all of which are impacted by computing in (and on) the network.
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> 
> From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Reply: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Cc: L M Feeney <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> Proposal Deadline: 30 June, 2021
>> Conference: 6-12 December 2021
>> ACM CoNEXT 2021 (https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021 <https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021>), to be
>> conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de <http://conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de/>.
>> 
>> https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021 <https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021>
>> email to: conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de <http://conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de/>​.
>> 
>> ACM CoNEXT-2021 Call for Workshops <https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021/#!/cfw>--  
>> Coin mailing list 
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
>> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin <https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin> 
> -- 
> Coin mailing list
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin <https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin>

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 05:58:52 -0400

I agree in a way but there has also been a number of workshops on
coin-related topics, hardware and P4 :)

Maybe IoT is limiting but I think a workshop on use cases in general (and
their associated architectures) would be valuable.

mjm

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Reply: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Date: May 14, 2021 at 5:52:33 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>,
Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, L M Feeney <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Hi Marie-Jose, All,

I agree IoT is a great use case of COIN. However, I think a huge focus on
IoT may reduce the scope and hence the number/quality of papers. Besides,
there are MANY workshops on IoT-related topics. :-)

My take is that I see COIN broader in scope, both in terms of use cases (for
instance, network-assisted distributed applications such as key-value
stores or coordination mechanisms; ML running in the network; and several
others), and even broadly in terms of topics, including programming
languages (P4, NPL, C-variants, HDLs, etc.), different targets with
different computing architectures and hence possibilities
(SoC/ASIC/FPGA-based smartNICs, programmable switching ASICs,
DPDK-accelerated hosts, etc.)

In summary, I’m afraid narrowing the scope to IoT may also reduce the
interest in the workshop.

Fernando

On 13 May 2021, at 16:07, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Dear COIN Community:

mjm

   -

   -

---

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 11:08:45 +0100

Sure — let me emphasize too that in my view it should to be quite clear that the focus would not be only on P4, as otherwise this would be just another P4 workshop. :-)

Best,

Fernando

> On 14 May 2021, at 10:58, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I agree in a way but there has also been a number of workshops on coin-related topics, hardware and P4 :)
> 
> Maybe IoT is limiting but I think a workshop on use cases in general (and their associated architectures) would be valuable.
> 
> mjm
> 
> From: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Reply: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]><[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, L M Feeney<[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>> On 13 May 2021, at 16:07, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Dear COIN Community:
>>>

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 06:09:57 -0400

I would actually suggest that programming languages should not be
emphasized. Like I said: use cases.

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Reply: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Date: May 14, 2021 at 6:08:50 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>,
L M Feeney <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, Dirk
Kutscher <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Sure — let me emphasize too that in my view it should to be quite clear
that the focus would not be only on P4, as otherwise this would be just
another P4 workshop. :-)

Best,

Fernando

On 14 May 2021, at 10:58, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
wrote:

mjm

From: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Reply: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Date: May 14, 2021 at 5:52:33 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
, Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, L M Feeney<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Hi Marie-Jose, All,

Fernando

Dear COIN Community:

mjm

   -

   -

---

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 11:10:51 +0100

Makes sense.

—F

> On 14 May 2021, at 11:09, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I would actually suggest that programming languages should not be emphasized. Like I said: use cases.
> 
> 
> 
> Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, L M Feeney <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]><[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>> On 14 May 2021, at 10:58, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>>

---

From: Dirk Trossen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 15:07:17 +0000

I am very supportive of proposing a COIN-related workshop. Would it be useful to form an editorial team to carve out such proposal? Initially, this could be done through team-internal email etc, reporting the proposal back in time (e.g., one week before submission deadline) as a result to the list for support and endorsement.

Dirk

From: Coin [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Fernando Ramos
Sent: 14 May 2021 12:11
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Cc: L M Feeney <[email-masked]>; Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>; Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Makes sense.

—F

On 14 May 2021, at 11:09, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

From: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Date: May 14, 2021 at 6:08:50 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, L M Feeney <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]><[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Best,

Fernando

On 14 May 2021, at 10:58, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

From: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply: Fernando Ramos<[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Date: May 14, 2021 at 5:52:33 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]><[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, L M Feeney<[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

Hi Marie-Jose, All,

Fernando

On 13 May 2021, at 16:07, Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear COIN Community:

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Date: May 13, 2021 at 9:43:24 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: L M Feeney <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject:  [Coin] ACM CoNEXT-2021: Call for Workshops

conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de<http://conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de/>.
email to: conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de<http://conext21-workshops_at_technik-emden.de/>​.
ACM CoNEXT-2021 Call for Workshops<https://conferences2.sigcomm.org/co-next/2021/#!/cfw>
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

--
Coin mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin