Subject: [Coin] SOSR '21 Program

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:43:23 -0400

Dear participants of coin RG,

The tentative program of SOSR '21 can be of some interest to many of you.
Registration to SOSR '21 is free and we kindly invite you to join SOSR '21.

=====
2021 ACM SIGCOMM SYMPOSIUM of SDN Research (SOSR ‘21)
October 11-12, 2021, Virtual Event, US Eastern Time
Registration Link: https://tinyurl.com/sosr21reg
Program Last Updated: Oct. 4, 2021

Monday, October 11, 2021

10:30-10:45 Opening Remarks

10:45-12:00 [75 min] Session I: Programmable Networking
Session Chair: Christian Rothenberg (UNICAMP)

Analyzing Traffic by Domain Name in the Data Plane
Jason Kim, Hyojoon Kim, Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University)

NanoTransport: A Low-Latency, Programmable Transport Layer for NICs
Serhat Arslan, Stephen Ibanez, Alex Mallery, Changhoon Kim, Nick McKeown
(Stanford University)

Nimble: Scalable TCP-Friendly Programmable In-Network Rate-Limiting
Vineeth Sagar Thapeta, Komal Shinde, Mojtaba Malekpourshahraki, Darius
Grassi, Balajee Vamanan, Brent Stephens (University of Illinois at Chicago)

12:00 - 12:15 Break

12:15-13:30 [75 min] Session II: SDN Control and Programming
Session Chair: Ryan Beckett (Microsoft)

Performance-Driven Internet Path Selection
Maria Apostolaki, Ankit Singla, Laurent Vanbever (ETH Zurich)

P4Weaver: Supporting Modular and Incremental Programming in P4
Ali Fattaholmanan (Università della Svizzera italiana); Mario Baldi
(Politecnico di Torino); Antonio Carzaniga (Università della Svizzera
italiana); Robert Soulé (Yale University)

TAPIR: Correct-by-Construction Network Programming via Stateful Data-Plane
Intermediate Representation
Jedidiah McClurg (Colorado School of Mines)

Helix: Traffic Engineering for Multi-Controller SDN
Nicu Florin Zaicu, Matthew Luckie, Richard Nelson, Marinho Barcellos
(University of Waikato)

13:30 - 14:10 [40 min] Session III: SDN Applications and Use Case
Session Chair: Eric Rozner

Accelerating Distributed Deep Learning using Multi-Path RDMA in Data Center
Networks
Feng Tian (University of Minnesota, Twin Cities); Yang Zhang (Google); Wei
Ye (University of Minnesota); Zhi-li Zhang (University of Minnesota -- Twin
Cities); Cheng Jin (Facebook); Ziyan Wu (University of Minnesota, Twin
Cities)

Clustreams: Data Plane Clustering
Or Goaz, Roy Friedman, Ori Rottenstreich (Technion)

14:10 - 14:20 Break

14:20 - 15:30 [70 min] Panel I: Advances, Opportunities, and
"Non-Traditional" Software-Defined Networking Control
Panel chair/moderator: Ben Pfaff (VMware)
- Richard Alimi (Google)
- Chin Guok (ESnet)
- Lihua Yuan (Microsoft)
- Aaron Gember-Jacobson (Colgate University)
- James Zeng (Facebook)
- Ennan Zhai (Alibaba)

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

10:00 - 10:50 Keynote
Speaker: Nate Foster (Cornel University)
Title: Toward Verified Data Planes

Abstract: P4 is a domain-specific language for specifying the behavior of
packet-processing systems. It is based on an elegant design with high-level
abstractions, such as parsers and match action pipelines, which can be
compiled to efficient implementations in hardware or software.
Unfortunately, like many industrial languages, P4 lacks a formal
foundation. The P4 specification is a 160-page document with a mixture of
informal prose, graphical diagrams, and pseudocode. The reference compiler
is complex, running to over 40KLoC of C++ code. Clearly neither of these
artifacts is suitable for formal reasoning. This talk will introduce a new
framework called Petr4 (pronounced "Petra"), that puts P4 on a solid
foundation. Petr4 uses standard elements of the semantics engineering
toolkit, namely type systems and operational semantics, to build a
compositional semantics that assigns an unambiguous meaning to every P4
program. Petr4 is implemented as an OCaml prototype that has been validated
against a suite of over 750 tests from the reference implementation. While
developing Petr4, we discovered dozens of bugs in the language
specification and the reference implementation, many of which have been
fixed. Furthermore, we have used Petr4 to establish the soundness of P4’s
type system, prove key properties such as termination, and formalize a
language extension.

10:50 - 12:30 [100 min] Session IV: Robust Networking Validation, Analysis,
and Design
Session Chair: Ennan Zhai (Alibaba)

Tardis: A Fault-Tolerant Design for Network Control Planes
Zhenyu Zhou (Duke University); Theophilus A. Benson (Brown University);
Marco Canini (KAUST); Balakrishnan Chandrasekaran (Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam)

DBVal: Validating P4 Data Plane Runtime Behavior
K Shiv Kumar (Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad); Ranjitha K, P S
Prashanth, Praveen Tammana (Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad); Mina
Tahmasbi Arashloo (Cornell University); Venkanna U. (International
Institute of Information Technology, Naya Raipur)

Resilient Diversity Routing with Bounded Latency
Eman Ramadan, Hesham Mekky, Cheng Jin, Braulio Dumba, Zhi-Li Zhang
(University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)

D2R: Policy-Compliant Fast Reroute
Kausik Subramanian (University of Wisconsin-Madison); Anubhavnidhi
Abhashkumar (UW-Madison); Loris D'Antoni (University of Wisconsin Madison);
Aditya Akella (UW-Madison)

12:30 - 12:50 Break

12:50 - 13:45 [55 min] Session V: Data Path Design and Analysis
Session Chair: Zhi-Li Zhang (University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)

A P4-based 5G User Plane Function
Robert MacDavid (Princeton University); Carmelo Cascone, Pingping Lin,
Badhrinath Padmanabhan, Ajay Thakur, Larry Peterson (Open Networking
Foundation); Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University); Oguz Sunay (Open
Networking Foundation)

How Much TCAM do we Need for Load Balancing?
Yaniv Sadeh (Tel Aviv University); Ori Rottenstreich (Technion - Israel
Institute of Technology); Haim Kaplan (Tel Aviv University)

Telemetry Retrieval Inaccuracy in Programmable Switches: Analysis and
Recommendations
Hun Namkung (Carnegie Mellon University); Daehyeok Kim (Carnegie Mellon
University and Microsoft); Zaoxing Liu (Boston University); Vyas Sekar,
Peter Steenkiste (Carnegie Mellon University)

13:45-14:55 Panel: Advances, Trends, and Challenges in SDN Networking
Hardware Design and Applications
Moderator: Robert Soule (Yale University)

Panelists:
- Gordon Brebner (Xilinx)
- Matty Kadosh (Nvidia)
- Mohan Kalkunte (Broadcom)
- John Marshall (Xsight)
- Minlan Yu (Harvard University)
- Noa Zilberman (Oxford University)

14:55-15:00 Close