Subject: [Coin] What's been going on on the SARAH mailing list

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:30:06 -0000

Hi,

Just a quick summary for those of you not subscribed to the Semantic Address
Routing And Hardware (SARAH) list at
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A0=SARAH

There was a side meeting held at IETF-112 in November (slides and recording
at https://github.com/danielkinguk/sarah/tree/main/conferences/ietf-112) and
this led to some discussion of the presentation by Geoff Huston. Of
particular interest was a thread started by Michael Richardson to consider
Geoff's point that the CDNs have risen and that we really don't need end to
end connectivity: just connectivity to the nearby CDNs. In this context,
Michael wondered whether the needs of the addressing architecture could be
expressed differently. And he suggests we might hold a workshop to design
and debug this new view of the Internet: we would need to understand what
should it look like, how we would get there from here, who would be the
winners and losers, and whether there are things that make end-to-end worth
keeping.

That discussion led on to a number of points about the consequences of CDN
dominance (from "the death of transit" to the end of an open DNS) and ways
to measure whether there is actually a reduction in transit traffic or just
that transit is falling as a percentage of total traffic.

Hesham ElBakoury raised questions about the "metaverse" and how that type of
network might be applying concepts of semantic routing.

Best,
Adrian