Subject: [Coin] ACM SIGCOMM (Amsterdam) calling for tutorials and hackathons

From: Aaron Ding <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:28:31 +0000

COIN IE/IRTFer,

call for Tutorials and Hackathons at ACM SIGCOMM 2022 in Amsterdam
https://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2022/cf-tutorials.html

We seek to extend the SIGCOMM experience by tutorials on selected topics given
by renowned scientists and practitioners in their fields. We therefore solicit
proposals for full-day or half-day tutorials on topics relevant to the SIGCOMM
community. We also solicit proposals to organize hackathons co-located with
SIGCOMM.

Tutorials must cover advanced topics that fit the scope of SIGCOMM and are of
current interest to the SIGCOMM community. Tutorials may be lectures,
interactive workshops, hands-on training, or any combination of the above.
Successful tutorials educate the community members on emerging methods,
concepts, and tools to expand the research capabilities of the community.
Cross-disciplinary topics are also welcome. Exploring diverse ways of
organizing the content, delivering the tutorial, and interacting with the
audience are especially encouraged.

A hackathon is an intense goal-oriented team-work activity organized in a
sprint-like one-day event, where members from various backgrounds and
expertise come together to work towards the stated goals of the hackathon. We
encourage applications from all fields that fit the interest of the SIGCOMM
community.

The current plan is that SIGCOMM 2022 will be primarily an in-person
conference. Still, we ask the authors to prepare a "plan B" for an online
tutorial/hackathon, in case there are travel restrictions due to COVID-19 at
the time of the event.

** Where To Submit
Tutorial and hackathon proposals should be submitted in PDF format, should not
exceed three (3) pages in total, and be sent to the Tutorial/Hackathon Co-chairs.

** Submit a Tutorial/Hackathon Proposal
Please visit https://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2022/cf-tutorials.html

** Important dates
Submission deadline: April 9, 2022.
Notification of acceptance: April 30, 2022.

** Tutorial Proposals Must Include
- A motivation for the tutorial (why this, why now, why at SIGCOMM?).
- An outline of the tutorial content, including its tentative schedule (over a
half-day or full-day).
- The type of tutorial (e.g., lecture vs. hands-on). It is highly recommended
that full-day tutorials should include a hands-on component and not be limited
to only lectures. Hands-on components are well-known to be more engaging and
pedagogically better in teaching for full-day events.
- References to previous iterations of the tutorial (if applicable) including
their date, venue, topics and number of participants and the motivation for
the new proposal.
- Requirements for the attendees (e.g., must bring own laptop or other
hardware, familiarity with certain technologies or topics, speed of Internet
connection, artifacts to download beforehand, etc.).
- A clear indication whether or not the tutorial artifacts (slides, video,
notebooks, containers/VMs, etc.) are allowed to be posted publicly at the
onference website.
- Special requirements for a possible online tutorial.

** Hackathon Proposals Must Include
- A motivation for the hackathon (why this, why now, why at SIGCOMM?).
- An outline of the goals and guidelines of the hackathon, including its
tentative schedule.
- References to previous iterations of the hackathon (if applicable) including
their date, venue, topics and number of participants and the motivation for
the new proposal.
- Requirements for the attendees (e.g., must bring own laptop or other
hardware, familiarity with certain technologies or topics, speed of Internet
connection, artifacts to download beforehand, etc.).
- Special requirements for a possible online hackathon.

** Important notes
- Each tutorial will be scheduled at a particular time slot on Monday August
22nd, preceding the first day of the main SIGCOMM conference and in parallel
with the workshops. The hackathons will be scheduled on Saturday August 27th,
after the last day of the main SIGCOMM conference.
- Preference in the acceptance decision process will be given to
tutorial/hackathon submissions that (1) provide hands-on experience to the
attendees, (2) build on open content that can be freely posted on the
conference website, and (3) formulate a clear and viable plan to hold the
event online if the COVID-19 situation requires so and make reasonable effort
to prepare for the online format (i.e., use Jupyter notebooks for hands-on
material, offer preinstalled VMs/containers, etc.).
- It is recommended that there are up to three speakers for a full-day
tutorial and up to two speakers for a half-day tutorial.
- Upon acceptance of a tutorial/hackathon proposal, either the
Tutorial/Hackathon Co-chairs or the tutorial speakers/hackathon organizers can
request a cancellation if there is clear evidence indicating low attendance by
the early registration deadline.

Compensation to tutorial speakers and hackathon organizers will not be provided.

** Contact the Tutorial/Hackathon Chairs
Yang Chen <[email-masked]>
Gabor Retvari <[email-masked]>

Cheers,
Aaron