Subject: [Coin] Semantic Routing discussions from the interim meeting

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:45:41 -0000

Hi COIN,

I left a bit of a ap after the interim so as to not be the only person
spamming the list, but since things are quiet, I thought it might be helpful
to pick up some of the discussions from the chat window during the interim.

Thanks for a lively discussion, and sorry that the presentation was
wide-ranging and didn't go into the details of "what is Semantic Routing".
That was at least in part because you can read the drafts and also the
threads on this list. (I know, so much nicer to be spoon-fed, but we should
try to keep moving forward and not repeat stuff :-)

I'm going to pull out a couple of separate threads to try to get to the
points raised:

1. What is the problem you are trying to solve, and what is the solution you
have in mind?

2. Where to draw the lines. Where is the line between network programming
and data plane programmability? Where is the line between forwarding and
routing? Isn't this "just labelling traffic"?

3. Where is the abstract definition? What is the architectural formulation?

Please bring up again what you typed in the chat if you want to, and then we
can try to move the discussion forward.

Best,
Adrian

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:04:16 -0500

You are obviously missing the routing discussion start spilled over.

I think all the questions are somewhat summarized under: how does
(semantic) routing relates to COIN.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: February 28, 2022 at 10:46:47 AM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [Coin] Semantic Routing discussions from the interim meeting

Hi COIN,

I left a bit of a ap after the interim so as to not be the only person
spamming the list, but since things are quiet, I thought it might be
helpful
to pick up some of the discussions from the chat window during the interim.

1. What is the problem you are trying to solve, and what is the solution
you
have in mind?

Please bring up again what you typed in the chat if you want to, and then
we
can try to move the discussion forward.

Best,
Adrian

-- 
Coin mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:24:40 -0000

> You are obviously missing the routing discussion start spilled over.

That’s funny, Marie-Jose.

I’m not obviously missing anything.

There is precisely one email in the archive (today, Toerless) that is the spill-over of the discussion on arch-d and in ICNRG about “recasting address semantics”.

In the meantime, the COIN list has been quiet with just 3 emails in the last week, and most of the recent emails related to administration of the meeting in March.

> (semantic) routing relates to COIN.

Yes. Exactly.

And we have been here before.

You have said that the charter is broad enough and open enough to discuss semantic routing. And I’m glad of that.

But, in an attempt to understand whether all or part of semantic routing fits in scope for COIN (“relates to COIN”) the best approach for me is to present the work and the questions and let others tell me “no, that is not in scope” or “yes, continue that discussion.” I’m happy to hear either answer, but not to be told “show me how that is in scope for COIN.” (I can explain why I won’t be happy with that response if it isn’t obvious.)

So I’ll push on.

Cheers,

Adrian

From: Adrian Farrel  <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>   <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: February 28, 2022 at 10:46:47 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>   <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [Coin] Semantic Routing discussions from the interim meeting 

Hi COIN, 

I left a bit of a gap after the interim so as to not be the only person 
spamming the list, but since things are quiet, I thought it might be helpful 
to pick up some of the discussions from the chat window during the interim. 

Best, 
Adrian 

-- 
Coin mailing list 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/coin