Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-conneg-media-features-02.txt

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:15:28 +0100

At 11:35 02/10/98 +0200, Koen Holtman wrote:
>Graham Klyne:
>[...]
>>I *think* Koen may be referring to capabilities of devices that render
>>character values directly in some sense, rather than the use of text to
>>encode other forms of data.  This suggests to me that Al's suggestion of
>>using HTML media types may be helpful in this area.
>
>I see textonly as a tag which is mainly used for labling _content_,
>e.g. the HTML page with a picture of something vs. the HTML page with a
>textual description of the same thing.  Knowing that a device
>(browser) has 'textonly=true' would not tell you all that much about
>the device.

Within the framework I envisage, a tag has to be able to describe both
*content* and *recipient* capabilities.  Otherwise, the tag can perform no
useful purpose.

Having said that, I think your statement is maybe the *content* counterpart
of what I described in terms of *recipient* capabilities.  I.e. a recipient
capable of suitably processing pure text would be capable of displaying the
essential content of some "textonly" resource.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])