Subject: RE: FWD: Re: Framework for capabilities

From: [email-masked] (Reynolds Franklin NRC/Boston)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:03:53 -0400

>From: [email-masked] (Ted Hardie)
>Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Re: Framework for capabilities and user preferences
>To: "Johan Hjelm" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>
>Johan,
> Thanks for bringing this work to the attention of the group.
>Looking through it, I see a number of places where our work and yours
>complement each other; I also see a few places where we may want to
>work out methods to improve interoperability.
> If I understand your framework, we could provide an interface
>for exchange of registered features in your system by providing a URI
>to the registry and keeping an XML-based description of the registry's
>content there.  We could also write up a short document indicating
>that that adding a u. to the URI used as the xmlns:PRF URI would
>create a compliant token for our framework and easy method of moving
>references between the two systems.

I think interoperability between the two systems is very desirable.
Especially, establishing a common vocabulary of attributes.

> Other aspects of the sytem are not quite so easy to map.  CC/PP
>uses a "table of tables" to describe capabilities, where conneg is
>currently using a predicate-based system; it certainly should be
>possible to map between the two, but some discussion on the best
>ways of doing so would be useful.  I would also like us to discuss
>preferences in detail, as I believe that expression of rank like
>q-values is an area in which conneg could use more input.  This may
>also complicate how to express the cross-walk between data models.
> Thanks again for bringing this work to our attention, and
>I look forward to discussing it further.
>  best regards,
>   Ted Hardie
>   Chair, conneg

I don't think we are wedded to the notion of a "tables of tables". The
goal was to keep things simple. We can make accomodations if it
would help us take advantage of some other portion of the CONNEG
work. For instance, it would be nice if we could use the CONNEG  rules
for matching content attributes to user preferences.

Franklin Reynolds
Nokia Research Center