Subject: M took on that air of home comfort that is seldom seen in

From: Miro Llopis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 03:08:41 +0200

N, and turn quickly a convenient corner. "But," she thought, "I should
hurt this good woman's feelings, and lose my own self-respect by such a
course. Clemence Graystone, what are these people to you, that you
should do a cowardly act for fear of them." She raised her head proudly,
and gave, perhaps, a more than usually distant bend of the head to the
gentleman's respectful bow. The lady gave her only a stare of
astonishment, and they had scarcely passed, when she heard these words
distinctly: "How shocking! _Did_ you see that horrid creature with Miss
Graystone? It must be her mother. I declare, if I had have known she had
such low relations, I never would have engaged her." "Gracia, hush! I
entreat you, Miss Graystone will overhear you." If Clemence's face
crimsoned at the words, the one beside her became absolutely livid with
rage. Mrs. Bailey had once been a beauty, and the black eyes that now
glowed with baleful fire, had, in years gone by, glanced languishingly
upon scores of admiring swains. But there was now nothing left of
fortune, fair looks, or friends, but a bitter memory that rankled in the
woman's heart. Realizing that her o