Subject: [COSE] Request for early code points for draft-ietf-cose-countersign

From: Jonathan Hammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 17:27:42 -0500

I have some code that can generate some examples for
draft-ietf-cose-countersign.  However, in order to use the new
countersignature V2 method, I need early code points assigned in the
COSE Header Parameters table
(https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#header-parameters)
for counter signature version 2 and counter signature 0 version 2
(TBD10 and TBD11 in the I-D).

For draft-ietf-cose-countersign
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cose-countersign):

Table COSE Header Parameters
https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#header-parameters

Name                              Value
counter signature version 2       11
counter signature 0 version 2     12

I discovered that the current examples in
draft-ietf-cose-countersign-01 use the label for the original
countersignature structure, thus they will need to be fixed to use
countersignature V2 once the new code-point is assigned.  I have
withdrawn my PR from the Examples repo so as to not cause confusion.

Jonathan

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 17:54:07 -0500

I support early code point assignment.  What do others think?

Russ

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 5:27 PM, Jonathan Hammell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> COSE mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cose

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 08:38:33 +0100

> I support early code point assignment.  What do others think?

Yes please.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:43:57 -0800

Matt, Ivo,

> > I support early code point assignment.  What do others think?

Per https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7120#section-3.1 step 4, please use this
as my approval of early allocation.  (Note that you probably still have to
do step 3.)

Thanks,

Ben