Subject: Request for workers :-)

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 22:03:04 +0100

Thanks to everybody who joined the list and Happy New Year for those
who are now in 2007 (yes, I know there are other calendars, although
there is no IANA registry for them).

Since one of the first aims of this list was to test wether or not
there was sufficient interest for the IETF to dedicate a BoF and may
be a working group to it, I would like to check if some people here are
ready to work on Comosgol. I do not ask if you're interested (I assume
that subscribing to the list is a proof of interest) but if you can
dedicate human resources on tasks like:

* working on the Internet-Draft,

* working on the current implementation, Shadok, or on another one
(having two different implementations would certainly be a good
thing),

* proofreading,

* writing state machines in Cosmogol (with an emphasis on state
machines used in RFC) to stress the language and feel its limits,

* studying in depth the "competitors" like SDL / Z100 to report about
wether or not they would be a better match for the IETF and why.

_______________________________________________
Cosmogol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cosmogol

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:33:20 +0100

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:03:04PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 

> (having two different implementations would certainly be a good

If there are GUI-oriented people, making an application which reads
Cosmogol files, displays the state machine and allows the user to
select the next message (among the possible ones), with an indication
of the new state, of the action taken, etc, would be nice :-)

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:45:42 +0100

> machines used in RFC) to stress the language and feel its limits,

Possible (incomplete) list of RFC with state machines:

1644
1661
2131 (DHCP)
2328
2832 Note the short and long labels 
3215 (a big one)
3261
3989 (note the complicated edge labels)
4006 (note it is represented as a table, not a ascii-art diagram)
4137
4271 (no diagram, very long and complicated, with many messages)
4340

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 16:59:32 -0800

The state machine for aproving RFC is at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/states_table.cgi

Also RFC 3261 has a state machine.

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 08:16:41 +0100

Hi Stephane,

> * working on the Internet-Draft,

Yes.  I'll repost in this mailing-list the comments I sent you in private.

> (having two different implementations would certainly be a good

I cannot code in Haskell, but I packaged Shadok for the Debian GNU/Linux
 distribution (i386 and amd64).  I am just waiting for a version number
to upload them on a public repository...

> machines used in RFC) to stress the language and feel its limits,

I started to convert in Cosmogol the state machines in RFC 3261.  I also
have somewhere the state machine for draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-05.

Do you plan to have some sort of repository of Cosmogol state machines
for IETF protocols publicly available?

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: [email-masked]
Work: [email-masked]

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:30:45 +0100

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 08:16:41AM +0100,
 Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 52 lines which said:

> I am just waiting for a version number to upload them on a public
> repository...

IMHO, it would be preposterous: Shadok is not stable because the
language it implements, Cosmogol, is far from stable.

> Do you plan to have some sort of repository of Cosmogol state
> machines for IETF protocols publicly available?

Good idea. In the mean time, we just have
http://www.cosmogol.fr/examples.html and the Shadok distribution. I
plan to create a http://www.cosmogol.fr/state-machines/.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:02:18 +0100

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:59:32PM -0800,
 Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> wrote 

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/states_table.cgi

Nice. Any volunteer? Usage reports from beginners would be most
helpful.
 
> Also RFC 3261 has a state machine.

Several, actually. I attach them in Cosmogol, Marc Petit-Huguenin works
on another version.
_______________________________________________
Cosmogol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cosmogol

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:06:37 +0100

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:03:04PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> * studying in depth the "competitors" like SDL / Z100 to report
> about wether or not they would be a better match for the IETF and
> why.

BTW, for one week, Z100 is, like all the other ITU standards,
available free of charge:

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Z.100-200208-I/en