Subject: [Ietf-not43] CRISP @ RIP43

From: [email-masked] (Hollenbeck, Scott)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:09:26 -0400

> The third one was not about the charters of the two WG but about the
> actual protocols EPP and IRIS. It was a concern that the two WG are
> making new protocols from scratch instead on relying on an existing
> infrastructure, like Web services (XML-RPC or SOAP). (The LDAP
> proposal in crisp is of course immune from this criticism.)

I can't speak for IRIS, but back when I first started working on EPP both
SOAP and XML-RPC were VERY immature (there was nothing being done with them
in the IETF), and all they did was add another layer of protocol overhead
that wasn't really necessary.  Plus, EPP _can_ be moved around using SOAP or
XML-RPC instead of being streamed over TCP.

-Scott-

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Bortzmeyer)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:51:47 +0200

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 07:09:26AM -0400,
 Hollenbeck, Scott <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 13 lines which said:

> SOAP and XML-RPC were VERY immature

If I take February 2001 as the starting point (first draft of EPP),
then, yes, SOAP was quite immature (and, IMHO, still is) but XML-RPC
was already an old technology, with no change in the specification for
three years and many interoprable implementations.

> (there was nothing being done with them
> in the IETF),

It is not the same thing: SOAP will never be an IETF protocol, which
has nothing to do with its stability or maturity.

> XML-RPC instead of being streamed over TCP.

EPP XML elements can probably be embedded in SOAP, but not in XML-RPC,
which does not allow "unknown" (to the protocol) XML elements.

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Lewis)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:10:14 -0400

It sounds like this thread, if it continues, is straying into the 
provreg domain  and away from the crisp domain.  I can't speak for 
crisp, but if there is any substantive discussion about provreg 
issues, I'd certainly encourage it to be in a thread on the 
[email-masked] mailing list.

At 1:51PM +0200 9/24/02, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>Ietf-not43 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer