Subject: [Ietf-not43] name the baby

From: ehall at ehsco.com (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Thu May 8 16:00:33 2003

I've added some more meat to the ldap-whois spec and am reworking the
docset to accomodate these (and other) changes. Since I don't want to do
this again, I'm looking to come up with a friendly name for the spec.
Although I've been using ldap-whois publically for a while, that's too
much of a mouthful for long-term use. I've also been using 'the Internet
Resource Query Service' privately for a while, but the acronym sounds like
'irks' which is kind of defeatist. Same with Common Resource Access
Protocol, and others.

Anybody got a friendly/memorable name and acronym which reflects ameneably
upon a federated lookup and query service for global resources?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: Peter.Gietz at daasi.de (Peter Gietz)
Date: Fri May 9 08:27:59 2003

What about LIRAP for LDAP based Internet Resource Access Protocol?

Just my two cent.

Cheers,

Peter

-- 
_______________________________________________________________________

Peter Gietz (CEO)
DAASI International GmbH                phone: +49 7071 2970336
Wilhelmstr. 106                         Fax:   +49 7071 295114
D-72074 T?bingen                        email: [email-masked]
Germany                                 Web:   www.daasi.de

Directory Applications for Advanced Security and Information Management
_______________________________________________________________________

---

From: william at elan.net ([email-masked])
Date: Fri May 9 08:35:05 2003

Actually how about just "WRAP" - whois resource access protocol or less 
fitting, but better sounding "WARP" - whois access resource protocol

---

From: ehall at ehsco.com (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Fri May 9 13:52:05 2003

Federated Registry Access Protocol = FRAP

... gesticulation = FRAG

Federated Resource Information Service = FRIS

?

on 5/9/2003 4:48 AM [email-masked] wrote:
>>> I've added some more meat to the ldap-whois spec and am reworking
>>> the docset to accomodate these (and other) changes. Since I don't
>>> want to do this again, I'm looking to come up with a friendly name
>>> for the spec. Although I've been using ldap-whois publically for a
>>> while, that's too much of a mouthful for long-term use. I've also
>>> been using 'the Internet Resource Query Service' privately for a
>>> while, but the acronym sounds like 'irks' which is kind of
>>> defeatist. Same with Common Resource Access Protocol, and others.
>>> 
>>> Anybody got a friendly/memorable name and acronym which reflects
>>> ameneably upon a federated lookup and query service for global
>>> resources?
> 
>

---

From: anewton at ecotroph.net (Andrew Newton)
Date: Fri May 9 14:02:44 2003

> Federated Resource Information Service = FRIS

Federated Resource Information Service for LDAP - FRISL, but pronounced 
as frizzle.

-andy

---

From: edmon at neteka.com (Edmon Chung)
Date: Fri May 9 15:10:40 2003

> What about LIRAP for LDAP based Internet Resource Access Protocol?

How about just LRAP.

Edmon