Subject: [Ietf-not43] IRIS Open Issues

From: rlehning at smimetlaw.com (Ryan Lehning)
Date: Thu Nov 13 13:55:34 2003

George, forgive the newbie question, can you defined "mandatory change
logging?"  

Thanks,
Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: George Michaelson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:55 PM
To: Andrew Newton
Cc: David Blacka; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ietf-not43] IRIS Open Issues

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:08:21 -0500 Andrew Newton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> David Blacka wrote:
> > 
> > Nothing else in CRISP has pointed toward using it to see historical data

> > about a registration object.  I would be somewhat reluctant to start
with 
> > this.
> 
> Agreed.  I'm just throwing it out as a possible thing that could be done 
> due to this change.  I'm not convinced of its usefulness.

In number registry space, it might help with people tracking potential
hijacked
nets. We're considering some issues around mandatory change logging on top
level
objects. Equally, this can be done offline, its more about information
management than lookup.

I think I have some problems conceptualizing what 'sort' means in some of
these
contexts. If you mean 'by time' then the sort isn't on the status, its on
the
date of the status. If there are other more complex sort orders, why isn't
that
being done in the client?

-George
_______________________________________________
Ietf-not43 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

---

From: ggm at apnic.net (George Michaelson)
Date: Thu Nov 13 14:28:03 2003

> George, forgive the newbie question, can you defined "mandatory change

if somebody changes a IP address block registry object, and its not detailing
customer-specific records (which probably change a LOT, and are therefore less
likely to be ameanable to tracking in depth, and in any case get to privacy
issues) then it should be required that you can find out the historical data
against that block.

so the change logging which currently in RPSL/RIPE WHOIS V.3 can be deleted at
the maintainers request (its just a field in the block, and can be added or
removed at will) would become readonly/append mode. A growing list of dates at
which changes were made. 

This is not a policy requirement, its a loose proposal which might become a
policy requirement.

-George

-- 
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: [email-masked]    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064
Phone: +61 7 3367 0490  |  Australia
  Fax: +61 7 3367 0482  |  http://www.apnic.net