Subject: [Crisp] Questions re current status of IRIS schemas and IRIS clients and servers

From: "Carl Taswell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:34:51 -0800

I'm beginning implementation work on a project originally designed to be
built using IRIS. But I understand from David Blacka at Verisign that the
IRIS client server prototypes implemented and hosted at Verisign Labs are no
longer supported. I am left wondering whether there are any active projects
currently underway for development of IRIS clients and servers, either open
source, academic university, or commercial at any organization. 

I would appreciate hearing word from anybody about currently supported
active projects of any kind for the implementation of IRIS clients and
servers. Also, I would like to know if anybody has written a Microsoft WCF
binding for any of the IRIS transport protocols so that they can be accessed
in software development projects using Microsoft Visual Studio?

Finally, I have a number of questions regarding the IRIS *.xsd schemas
themselves of which the two most important are:

1) dreg.xsd refers to dreg2 but I am unclear about the status of dreg2
because I know that at one time it was a draft, but it does not appear to
have progressed to an RFC. Could somebody please clarify any plans for
dreg2?

2) There appears to be a fair amount of code common to more than one schema
such as the code concerning contacts in both areg.xsd and dreg.xsd. Was
there an explicit reason for this structure? Has there been any discussion
of refactoring the code to improve modularity so that the various registry
types (areg, dreg, etc) refer to the same separate schema that concerns
items such as contacts that are common to all the different registry types?

Thanks much for any information,

CT

-------------------------
Carl Taswell
Cel: 916-616-4939
Tel: 949-481-3121

_______________________________________________
Crisp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/crisp

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:30:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Carl,

I will let other folks answer re work they are doing on IRIS 

> have progressed to an RFC. Could somebody please clarify any plans for

This draft (draft-ietf-crisp-iris-dchk-09.txt) is approved for RFC and is 
in the RFC Editor's queue now. Once that draft is published as an RFC, the 
work of the group will be concluded.

Hope that helps a tiny bit. :)
regards,
April

---

From: Marcos Sanz/Denic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:45:43 +0100

> work of the group will be concluded.

Expanding on this: we are planning to offer IRIS-Services of DCHK-Type as 
soon as the RFC is published.

Best
Marcos

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:06:31 -0500

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Carl Taswell wrote:

> servers.

No active projects here, though its been mentioned a couple of time  
lately...  but that happens everytime somebody discovers the  
shortcomings of Whois.

> items such as contacts that are common to all the different registry  

That was purposeful, as we didn't want to tie the developments  
together from a getting an RFC published standpoint.  From an  
aesthetics standpoint, I didn't like it.  But the silliness in getting  
the integrated XPC & LWZ drafts published proved the point.

-andy

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:48:16 +0100

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:30:36PM -0800,
 April Marine <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> This draft (draft-ietf-crisp-iris-dchk-09.txt) is approved for RFC 

The original question was about dreg2 (updated version of dreg, which
apparently went dead), not about dchk which seems to me a completely
different thing.

---

From: Andrei Robachevsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:47:56 +0100

Hi Carl,

> source, academic university, or commercial at any organization. 

A few years ago we at the RIPE NCC set up a prototype of the IRIS 
server, based on VeriSign code. It provides live allocation data from 
the RIPE Database. There was a client developed, you may find some more 
information here:

http://www.ripe.net/db/iris-pilot/

The project is not active. At the moment there is little interest from 
the community and we are not doing any further development in this area.

Andrei