Subject: [Curdle] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 12:10:11 -0700

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-16: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Be ye not alarmed -- this should be super-trivial to address, either by telling
my why I'm wrong, or fixing it -- in either case, I'll change to a YES. I'm
also fine with this being addressed in AUTH48, etc (if I'm not on the telechat,
no need to for Revised ID Needed on my behalf)

The IANA considerations section says:
-----
   The IANA is requested to update the Encryption Algorithm Name
   Registry of the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Parameters [IANA].  The
   Registration procedure is IETF Review which is achieved by this
   document.  The registry should be updated as follows:
           +------------------------------+------------+------+
           | Encryption  Algorithm  Name  | Reference  | Note |
           +------------------------------+------------+------+
| arcfour
| arcfour128
| arcfour256
+------------------------------+------------+------+
   Where TBD is the RFC number assigned to the document.

---

I think it would be vastly preferable to include a Note saying something along
the lines of: "DEPRECATED" (or "HISTORIC" like for des-cbc). Someone
implementing SSH / updating their implementation may look at the IANA page and
not read all of the links.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for writing this -- it's important, well written, etc.
Also thanks to Fred for the OpsDir review.