Subject: [cuss] Friday's meeting - remote participation

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 16:41:09 +0800

Folks,

since several contributors won't be in the room on Friday, we are
thinking of setting up some arrangement for letting remote attendees
take part to the discussion as actively as possible.

The best solution we could figure out so far is to have sort of a remote
line manager, queuing on behalf of remote participants and relaying
Skype calls directly into the mic in order to effectively establish a
bidirectional audio channel. Please let Shida (who will be acting chair
for this meeting) and I know if you think you would make use of such a
facility. Also, if you can think of a more appropriate solution, feel
free to suggest it.

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:09:38 -0700

Hi, 

I'm glad you are trying this idea. The biggest problem with the current streaming audio is the latency. Typing questions in via jabber is somewhat workable - the problem is people in the room say "Do you want A or B". It will then take 30 seconds or so before the remote people hear that. Then another 10 seconds for them to type A or B into jabber. The net effect is pretty much unworkable for any resolution of issues - it sort of works for the occasional clarifying question. 

Using Skype, we would get rid of this latency issue. If the echo is a problem, then you could try Skype audio from local to remote but then jabber for remote to local. You would still get rid of the latency problem. If you are going to conference multiple people into the Skype call, I strongly suggest making sure that it is the person in Beijing that forms the conference for the best quality experience. 

However, for all of this, we can try to make things work a bit better for remote but not at the expense of making the local meeting useless. Remote people need to realize that being remote is just not going to be effective. 

All that said, I'm not going to be able to come to the cuss meeting due to the other WG it conflicts with but I'm really glad you guys are seeing what you can do and experimenting. 

Cullen

On Nov 9, 2010, at 1:41 AM, Enrico Marocco wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> cuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cuss

---

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:33:01 +0800

Logistics: someone in the room -- a chair or some volunteer
"volunteered" by a chair -- will be online as Skype user cuss-ietf and
will relay question to the mic. The Skype session will last only for the
duration of the question and the discussion generated by it. We are
trying this to overcome some limitations with Jabber, in particular to
enhance interactivity for remote participants: this experiment in not
intended to replace the IETF audio stream in any way.

If you plan to take part in the experiment, simply add the user
"cuss-ietf" to your Skype buddy list and be prepared to follow
instructions received by IM.

Enrico