Subject: [Dart] FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04.txt

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 03:47:42 -0400

Progress in this version:

> [A] Work item: Gorry Fairhurst's item (1), a new Section 5.4 on "single
> PHB/DSCP for a single TCP connection, SCTP association or DCCP connection" -
> I need to write this text, and will try to do that over the weekend.

I wound up adding this text to Section 5.1, and slimmed down the corresponding
guideline in Section 6.  I hope this suffices - Gorry should check the text
in the -04.

> [B] Open issue: PHBs and DSCPs for RTCP.  The RTCP guideline bullet cannot
> be revised until this open issue is resolved on the list.  See:
	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dart/current/msg00156.html

Still open, see Ben's recent message.

> [C] Work item:  Request to Ben Campbell for "additional text on context
> (WebRTC, clue and bundle) for the Introduction and Abstract, plus for a
> better example in Section 4."

Closed by additional text in -04.  Ben should double-check that the result
is acceptable.

> [D] Open issue: Question to Harald Alvestrand - Does CNAME need to be used
> in section 2.2 text?  I hope not.

Closed - this was actually in 2.1, and based on private discussion w/Harald,
this issue has now been closed by a small edit in -04 to remove a problematic
and unnecessary use of SSRC:

OLD
   In addition, an RTP stream
   may contain multiple source streams that use the same reference clock
   (SSRC), e.g., components or programs in an MPEG Transport Stream
   [H.222.0].
NEW
   In addition, an RTP stream
   may contain multiple source streams, e.g., components or programs in
   an MPEG Transport Stream [H.222.0].

> [E] Open issue: Harald Alvestrand's concerns about "differential treatment"
> wrt Section 5.1 .  I don't completely understand these concerns, and suspect
> that they may require an email discussion across the DART and RMCAT WGs
> to sort through.

Still open - Harald should post specific requests for text changes to the
list.

> [F] Open issue: Harald Alvestrand's concerns about the RTCP multi-stream
> optimization text in section 5.2 .  I don't think there's a problem here,
> but I'm not an expert on the RTCP technology involved, and Harald may not
> agree.  This is a different RTCP issue than [B].

But, based on private discussion w/Harald, [F] depends on [B], and resolution
of [B] is likely to lead to resolution of [F].  Ben's started a thread on
[B], so I'll comment further there.

Thanks,
--David

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 3:36 AM
To: Black, David; Paul Jones; Black, David; Paul Jones
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by David Black and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp
Revision:	04
Title:		Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and Real-time CommunicHtion
Document date:	2014-08-25
Group:		dart
Pages:		26
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04
Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-04

Abstract:
   This document describes the interaction between Differentiated
   Services (DiffServ) network quality of service (QoS) functionality
   and real-time network communication, including communication based on
   the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  DiffServ is based on network
   nodes applying different forwarding treatments to packets whose IP
   headers are marked with different DiffServ Code Points (DSCPs).
   WebRTC applications, as well as some conferencing applications, have
   begun using the Session Description Protocol (SDP) bundle negotiation
   mechanism to send multiple traffic streams with different QoS
   requirments using the same network 5-tuple.  Use of different DSCPs
   to obtain different QoS treatments within a single network 5-tuple,
   the results (e.g., reordering) may cause transport protocol
   interactions, particularly with congestion control functionality.  In
   addition, DSCP markings may be changed or removed between the traffic
   source and destination.  This document covers the implications of
   these DiffServ aspects for real-time network communication, including
   WebRTC.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat