Subject: [Dart] draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03.txt - posted, not done editing, open issues

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 21:38:02 -0400

I've posted a -03 version of draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03 to capture the
editing completed today.  Here's what I believe are still open issues
or work to be done.

[A] Work item: Gorry Fairhurst's item (1), a new Section 5.4 on "single
PHB/DSCP for a single TCP connection, SCTP association or DCCP connection" -
I need to write this text, and will try to do that over the weekend.

[B] Open issue: PHBs and DSCPs for RTCP.  The RTCP guideline bullet cannot
be revised until this open issue is resolved on the list.  See:
	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dart/current/msg00156.html

[C] Work item:  Request to Ben Campbell for "additional text on context
(WebRTC, clue and bundle) for the Introduction and Abstract, plus for a
better example in Section 4."

[D] Open issue: Question to Harald Alvestrand - Does CNAME need to be used
in section 2.2 text?  I hope not.

[E] Open issue: Harald Alvestrand's concerns about "differential treatment"
wrt Section 5.1 .  I don't completely understand these concerns, and suspect
that they may require an email discussion across the DART and RMCAT WGs
to sort through.

[F] Open issue: Harald Alvestrand's concerns about the RTCP multi-stream
optimization text in section 5.2 .  I don't think there's a problem here,
but I'm not an expert on the RTCP technology involved, and Harald may not
agree.  This is a different RTCP issue than [B].

For [D], [E] and [F], see my recent response to Harald:
	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dart/current/msg00164.html

I appreciate Harald's indulgence of the fact that I sent that response
at an unreasonable hour for him and then immediately tagged him with
responsibility for half the items above.  I'm sure he'll find a way to
"return the favor" ;-).

Thanks,
--David

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 9:16 PM
To: Black, David; Paul Jones; Black, David; Paul Jones
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by David Black and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp
Revision:	03
Title:		Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and Real-time Communication
Document date:	2014-08-22
Group:		dart
Pages:		25
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03
Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-03

Abstract:
   This document describes the interaction between Differentiated
   Services (DiffServ) network quality of service (QoS) functionality
   and real-time network communication, including communication based on
   the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  DiffServ is based on network
   nodes applying different forwarding treatments to packets whose IP
   headers are marked with different DiffServ Code Points (DSCPs).  As a
   result, use of different DSCPs within a single traffic stream may
   cause transport protocol interactions (e.g., reordering).  In
   addition, DSCP markings may be changed or removed between the traffic
   source and destination.  This document covers the implications of
   these DiffServ aspects for real-time network communication, including
   WebRTC.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat