Subject: Re: [Detnet-dp-dt] criteria for dp alternatives

From: János Farkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 15:49:29 +0100

Hi Jouni,

A couple of comments/questions on the text describing the criteria.

The introductory text of Section 2 distinguishes packet loss due to a 
failure event from other types of loss:
"2) probability of loss of a packet,
3) probability of loss of a packet in the event of the failure of a 
relay system or link."
Is the intention to distinguish service availability from packet loss?

Section 2.4 only mentions management for the establishment of explicit 
routes. We should add SDN, e.g.:
"... using some network management and/or Software Defined Networking 
(SDN) procedure."

Regards,
Janos

On 1/30/2016 1:11 AM, Jouni Korhonen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Based on the recent discussion I came up with this "criteria list" for solution alternatives. I am still in a process of writing some into these sections what they actually should contain when collecting and describing the alternatives:
>
>     2.  Criteria for data plane solution alternatives . . . . . . . .   3
>       2.1.  Encapsulation and overhead  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
>       2.2.  Stream identification . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>       2.3.  Packet sequencing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>       2.4.  Explicit routes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>       2.5.  Packet replication and deletion . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>       2.6.  Operations and management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
>       2.7.  Time synchronization  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
>       2.8.  Class and quality of service capabilities . . . . . . . .   5
>       2.9.  Packet traceability . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
>
> If you think some critical criteria is missing just post that into the list and I'll add that. The update of the draft skeleton will be updated during the weekend.
>
> - Jouni
>
>