Subject: [Detnet-dp-dt] Some quick notes from the call today

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 12:17:01 -0800

Folks,

We had a very fruitful call today. Few quick notes capturing the 
dicussion and the few things we agreed.

Pascal gave a presentation about his thoughts on using BIER. The slides 
are available in github: 
https://github.com/jounikor/draft-dt-detnet-dp-alt/blob/master/detnet%20bier%20Pascal.pdf

* Sequence numbers.. should also discuss at which layers (upper, 
dadptation, transport) it is located. There might also be multiple 
sequence numbers for different uses. This will go into Section 2.3. AP: 
Jouni
* Section 2.8. differentiates between CoS and QoS.. or it should. 
Currently the text calls this out but does not really give enough 
detail. Put something here. AP: Lou to proveke discussion on the list.
* Section 2.5. (and also Section 1. Intro) packet replication is to 
provide zero packet loss path switch type of service.. not just mimic 
.1CB. Call this out. Also clarify the difference between packet loss due 
congestion and path failure. AP: Jouni
* Add a criteria of "technology/solution maturity" i.e., what it takes 
to use some solution alternative.. use as-is, small extensions or 
repurposing exising "protocol fields". Also evaluate whether the 
technology is actually out there to deploy.. AP: Jouni
* Each solution alternative section shall have a table that summarizes 
it against the criteria. AP: Jouni

Rageding the document editinig.. if you add completely new text go ahead 
and submit that into github. Please tell the others when you did that. 
It is also a good practise to tell that you are about to do so. If you 
want to change existing text (beyong editorials), please justify that in 
the list before doing so.

Current tokens for editing parts of the documents:
* Janos on IPv6, followed by Pascal and Jouni once the bulk has been done.
* Greg on BIER, followed by Pascal with his proposals if they still "fit 
in".
* Jouni on PWE3, followed by anyone interested once the bulk has been done.

If you want to claim some subsection, just let others know. In general I 
keep the pen for loose overall control of the document.

I also pointed out SMPTE 2022-7 specification and it would be great if 
someone access to actual specs (there are slideset etc googleable to get 
the overall idea about this technology).

- Jouni