Subject: [Detnet-dp-dt] revised architecture draft in github

From: Norman Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 18:17:08 +0000

Checked in the stuff we talked about.  See what you think.

-- Norm

---

From: Jiangyuanlong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 18:58:52 +0000

Only draft-dt-detnet-dp-sol can be found in the github, did I miss something?

From: Detnet-dp-dt [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Norman Finn
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Detnet-dp-dt] revised architecture draft in github

-- Norm

---

From: Balázs Varga A <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 03:49:59 +0000

Hi Norm,
I like the structure now much better. See my comments in the ToC below.
- "3.1.x sections" are more tools to achieve QoS for DetNet, so what about to a second level section.
- "3.2.3. Packet encoding for service protection" does not really connected with the text/sections around it.
- I would change the order of 4.3 and 4.4.
- "5. Compatibility with Layer-2" could be a second level section in section 4.
Cheers
Bala'zs

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
   2.  Terminology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
     2.1.  Terms used in this document . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
     2.2.  IEEE 802 TSN to DetNet dictionary . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
   3.  Providing the DetNet Quality of Service . . . . . . . . . . .   7
ins> 3.1.  Primary Goals defining the DetNet QoS . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
insert "primary" in title
ins> 3.x.  Tools to achieve the DetNet QoS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7
insert new second level section
       3.x.1.  Congestion protection . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
       3.x.2.  Explicit routes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
       3.x.3.  Jitter Reduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
       3.x.4.  Packet Replication and Elimination  . . . . . . . . .  11
     3.2.  Secondary goals for DetNet  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12
       3.2.1.  Coexistence with normal traffic . . . . . . . . . . .  12
       3.2.2.  Fault Mitigation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  13
???>       3.2.3.  Packet encoding for service protection  . . . . . . .  14
does not fit here really
   4.  DetNet Architecture . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  14
     4.1.  DetNet stack model  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  14
       4.1.1.  Representative Protocol Stack Model . . . . . . . . .  14
       4.1.2.  DetNet Data Plane Overview  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
       4.1.3.  Network reference model . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  18
     4.2.  DetNet systems  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  20
       4.2.1.  End system  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  20
       4.2.2.  DetNet edge, relay, and transit nodes . . . . . . . .  21
>     4.3.  Traffic Engineering for DetNet  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  21
change order of 4.3 and 4.4
       4.3.1.  The Application Plane . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  22
       4.3.2.  The Controller Plane  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  22
       4.3.3.  The Network Plane . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  23
>     4.4.  DetNet flows  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  24
       4.4.1.  DetNet flow types . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  24
       4.4.2.  Source guarantees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  24
       4.4.3.  Incomplete Networks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  26
     4.5.  Queuing, Shaping, Scheduling, and Preemption  . . . . . .  26
     4.6.  Service instance  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  27
     4.7.  Flow identification at technology borders . . . . . . . .  28
       4.7.1.  Exporting flow identification . . . . . . . . . . . .  28
       4.7.2.  Flow attribute mapping between layers . . . . . . . .  29
       4.7.3.  Flow-ID mapping examples  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  30
     4.8.  Advertising resources, capabilities and adjacencies . . .  32
     4.9.  Provisioning model  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  33
       4.9.1.  Centralized Path Computation and Installation . . . .  33
       4.9.2.  Distributed Path Setup  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  33
     4.10. Scaling to larger networks  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  34
     4.11. Connected islands vs. networks  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  34
>   5.  Compatibility with Layer-2  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  34
Move under section 4. as 4.12
   6.  Open Questions  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  35
     6.1.  Flat vs. hierarchical control . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  35
     6.2.  Peer-to-peer reservation protocol . . . . . . . . . . . .  35
     6.3.  Wireless media interactions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  36
   7.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  36
   8.  Privacy Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37
   9.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37
   10. Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37
   11. Access to IEEE 802.1 documents  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37
   12. Informative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37
   Authors' Addresses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  43

From: Detnet-dp-dt [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Norman Finn
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Detnet-dp-dt] revised architecture draft in github

-- Norm

---

From: Norman Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 02:19:21 +0000

Good ideas.  Where do we put 3.2.3?

-- Norm

________________________________
From: Balázs Varga A [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:49 PM
To: Norman Finn; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: revised architecture draft in github

Hi Norm,
I like the structure now much better. See my comments in the ToC below.
- “3.1.x sections” are more tools to achieve QoS for DetNet, so what about to a second level section.
- “3.2.3. Packet encoding for service protection” does not really connected with the text/sections around it.
- I would change the order of 4.3 and 4.4.
- “5. Compatibility with Layer-2” could be a second level section in section 4.
Cheers
Bala’zs

Table of Contents

-- Norm