Subject: [Detnet] FW: WG Review: Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:01:05 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: mardi 25 novembre 2014 22:24
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: ccamp WG
Subject: WG Review: Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

The Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp) working group in the Routing Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-12-02.

Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Daniele Ceccarelli <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ccamp/

Charter:

The CCAMP working group is responsible for standardizing a common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for non-packet technologies found in the Internet and in the networks of telecom service providers (ISPs and SPs). Examples of the devices in such networks include photonic cross-connects, OEO switches, ROADMs, TDM switches, microwave links, and Ethernet switches.

In this context, measurement refers to the acquisition and distribution of attributes relevant to the setting up of tunnels and paths.

The working group develops extensions to core Traffic Engineering protocols that are under the care of other working groups. The CCAMP working group will coordinate with the TEAS working group to ensure that extensions that can be generalized for use with more than one technology are made appropriately, and with the working groups that have responsibility for the specific protocols.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
  (measurement attributes) for describing links and paths that are
  required for routing and signaling in technology-specific
  networks. These will be developed in conjunction with requests
  and requirements from other WGs to ensure overall usefulness.

- Maintenance and extension of the Link Management Protocol (LMP).

- Functional specification of extensions for GMPLS-related routing
  (OSPF, ISIS) and signaling (RSVP-TE) protocols required for path
  establishment and maintenance in non-packet, technology-specific
  networks. Protocol formats and procedures that embody these
  extensions will be done jointly with the WGs supervising those
  protocols and the TEAS working group has the responsibility to
  determine whether such protocol extensions should be generalized
  for Traffic Engineering in any network.

  This may include protocol work to support data planes that have
  already been approved by another Standards Development
  Organization. Note that the specification or modification of data
  planes is out of scope of this working group

- Definition of management objects (e.g., as part of MIB modules
  or YANG models) and control of OAM techniques relevant to the
  protocols and extensions specified within the WG. The OAM work
  will be synchronized with the LIME WG

- Describe non-packet-specific aspects of traffic engineering
  including for multi-areas/multi-AS/multi-layer scenarios and
  define protocol extensions in cooperation with the TEAS and
  PCE working groups.

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
  measurement protocol (or by other means such as configuration)
  can be distributed in existing routing protocols, such as OSPF,
  IS-IS, and BGP-LS. CCAMP will work with the WGs that supervise
  these 

The CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Protocol extensions in support of WSON.

- Protocol extensions in support of flexible grid lambda networks.

- Maintenance of existing protocol extensions for non-packet
  technology-specific networks (Ethernet, TDM, OTN) already
  specified by CCAMP.

- Maintenance of LMP.

Milestones:

TBD