Subject: [Detnet] detnet potential applications to on-board networks (in-vehicle)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:19:41 +0100

Hello,

I assisted yesterday to the DetNet non-WG-forming BoF.  Several 
potential applications of deterministic networking were mentioned, among 
which on-board vehicular networks ("look at your Audi next year" did I 
hear?).

Ethernet arrives at a quick pace in on-board vehicular networks, 
currently side-by-side with the multiple CAN networks.

Ethernet AVB is considered for its capability of respecting time 
constraints.  On another hand it would be strange to send a 
pedal-pressed signal on Ethernet AVB if tha tis actually used to send music.

New advancements consider competitors to Ethernet AVB - wireless HDMI; 
because Ethernet AVB is good for rear displays but there are too many 
displays and it would be great to replace them with wireless HDMI.

New advancements consider the use of higher-capacity Ethernet links 
(10Gb?) or wireless Ethernet 802.11ad in order to offer reliability.

There is one thing to have Ethernet in vehicle (it's already great) but 
it's another thing to have it replace the CANs...

The need is there anyways.

Alex