Subject: [Detnet] On DetNet terminology

From: "Scharf, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:33:48 +0000

draft-ietf-detnet-architecture-09 states:

DetNet relay node
           A DetNet node including a service sub-layer function that
           interconnects different DetNet transport sub-layer paths to
           provide service protection.  A DetNet relay node participates
           in the DetNet service sub-layer.  It typically incorporates
           DetNet transport sub-layer functions as well, in which case
           it is collocated with a transit node.

DetNet transit node
           A DetNet node operating at the DetNet transport sub-layer,
           that utilizes link layer and/or network layer switching
           across multiple links and/or sub-networks to provide paths
           for DetNet service sub-layer functions.  Typically provides
           congestion protection over those paths.  An MPLS LSR is an
           example of a DetNet transit node.

I wonder if the DetNet terminology would be simplified by an alignment between nodes and layers (or sub-layers).

* a DetNet relay node participates in the "DetNet relay layer" 

* a DetNet transit node operates at the "DetNet transit layer"

My 2 cents (as a non-native speaker)

Michael