Subject: [Detnet] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-architecture-11: (with COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 10:11:21 -0800

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-detnet-architecture-11: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-architecture/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support Benjamin's and Alissa's DISCUSS positions. I also agree with the
several people who commented that this should be informational. Otherwise, I
have some minor comments:

§3.2.1.2,
- first paragraph: Please expand "GigE"

- "In general, users are encouraged to use, instead of, "do this when you
get the packet," a combination of:" - Hard to parse.

§3.2.2.2: Please expand "PREOF" on first use. I realize readers can probably
construct it from the previous few sentences, but it's more reader-friendly not
to require them to do so.

§3.3.2: "Robust real-time systems require to reduce the number of possible
failures." - The sentence does not parse.  Are there missing words prior to
"to"?

§4.1.2:

- "Distinguishing the function of two DetNet data plane sub-layers, the
DetNet service sub-layer and the DetNet forwarding sub-layer, helps
to explore and evaluate various combinations of the data plane
solutions available, some are illustrated in Figure 4."

Hard to parse. Also, there is a comma splice.

- "There are many valid options to create a data plane solution for
DetNet traffic by selecting a technology approach for the DetNet
service sub-layer and also selecting a technology approach for the
DetNet forwarding sub-layer. There are a high number of valid
combinations."

Does this refer to implementation/deployment options, or protocol design
options? If the latter, are the choices still open?

§4.1.3: Please define or expand DetNet-UNI.

§4.2.1, first paragraph: Does L1 stand for Layer-1, etc? If so, please spell it
out.