Subject: [Detnet] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on charter-ietf-detnet-01-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 04:42:28 -0700

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-detnet-01-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-detnet/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I share some of Alvaro's concern regarding the dispatching. I think the
requirements angle is also interesting here. I fully expect DETNET to produce
reasonable requirements on for example a transport protocol as perceived from
the DETNET WGs. After a suitable WG has been identified I would expect that
significant discussion over these requirements, likely resulting i changes,
would occur. I hope this view is shared, but the usage of the word define,
could be interpret as a bit more strict than what I expect was the intention
here.

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 13:47:05 +0000

Hi Magnus,

There's an overriding "less is more" concern here, especially around transport protocol modifications.  To the extent that existing transport protocols have to be modified to be used with DetNet, those modifications make it more difficult to adapt applications that use those protocols to take advantage of DetNet.

In the revised charter, would "define" -> "discuss" help?

Thanks, --David (Transport Technical Advisor to detnet WG)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: detnet <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Magnus Westerlund via
> Datatracker
> Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 7:42 AM
> To: The IESG
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Detnet] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on charter-ietf-detnet-01-
> 00: (with COMMENT)
> 
> 
> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
> 
> _______________________________________________
> detnet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 14:34:03 +0000

On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 13:47 +0000, Black, David wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
> 
> There's an overriding "less is more" concern here, especially around transport
> protocol modifications.  To the extent that existing transport protocols have
> to be modified to be used with DetNet, those modifications make it more
> difficult to adapt applications that use those protocols to take advantage of
> DetNet.
> 

Yes. I think as long as there are no implied assumption that the hgiher layers
are bound to strictly follow these requirements it would be fine.

/Magnus

-- 
Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Networks, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Janos Farkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 17:57:18 +0000

Hi Magnus,

Thank you for your review!

David,
Thank you for the suggestion to resolve.

I agree that we should make this change. I've included it in the suggested 
changes to the relevant text in response to Alvaro's comment.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Janos

-----Original Message-----
From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 4:34 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Detnet] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on 
charter-ietf-detnet-01-00: (with COMMENT)

/Magnus

-- 
Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 08:36:13 +0000

Thanks!

/Magnus

-- 
Cheers

Magnus Westerlund