Subject: [Detnet] draft minutes from the session

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:10:10 -0400

Hi,

     Kudos to our secretary (Ethan) for getting these together so quickly.

Feel free to make corrections at:

https://etherpad.ietf.org:9009/p/notes-ietf-108-detnet

 > DetNet Agenda for IETF108 (Virtual)
 > Version: Jul 25, 2020
 > Session 1: Monday, July 27 2020
 > 1300-1350  Session II (UTC)
 > Time Zone Converter: 
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20200727T130000&p1=1440
 > Location: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/108/floor-plan?room=room-7
 > Materials: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/108/session/detnet
 > Etherpad: https://etherpad.ietf.org:9009/p/notes-ietf-108-detnet
 > Meetecho:       http://www.meetecho.com/ietf108/detnet
 > Audio stream: http://mp3.conf.meetecho.com/ietf/ietf1087.m3u
 > Jabber:              http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/detnet
 > WG  ICS: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.ics?filters=detnet
 > Session ICS: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/108/sessions/detnet.ics
 > Available post session:
 > Recording:
 > YouTube:

 > Presentation    Start Time (UTC) Duration              Information
 > 1          13:00     10           Title:      Intro, WG Status, Draft 
Status
 > Presenter:        Chairs
 > Slides: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-108-detnet-chairs-intro/
Lou Berger presened the slides.
No comments or questions.

 > 2          13:10     10           Title:      DetNet Configuration 
YANG Model - Update
 > Presenter:        Authors
 > Draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-yang-05
 > Slides: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-108-detnet-detnet-configuration-yang-model/
Don Fedyk presented the slides.
No comments from the WG.

 > 3          13:20     10           Title:      DetNet OAM
 > Presenter:        Greg Mirsky
 > Draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-oam-01
 > Draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mirsky-detnet-ip-oam-02
 > Slides: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-108-detnet-detnet-mpls-oam/
Greg Mirsky presented the slides.
Lou Berger: OAM doc has not been updated, what is the plan?
Greg Mirsky: We want discussion on MPLS doc first, which supports PREOF, 
which is important. But we are also working on IP OAM, preparing for WG 
adoption poll.
Lou Berger: What is timeline for IP doc? Ready for adoption?
Greg: I just switched from IP OAM to this MPLS work, will switch back to 
IP after this meeting. Will reach out to chairs if need help. If ready 
for adoption poll we will let you know.
Lou Berger: OK, so we expect to see a comment on next steps on the list.

 > 4          13:30     10           Title:      RAW OAM
 > Presenter:        Fabrice Theoleyre
 > Draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-theoleyre-raw-oam-support-03
 > Slides: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-108-detnet-raw-oam/
Fabrice Theoleyre presented the slides.
Lou Berger: Chairs asked for this work to be presented today as it 
contains good material, a portion of which could potentially be brought 
into this WG, along with Greg's OAM work.
Lou Berger: Have you thought about how to split material betweenDetNet 
and RAW? Anything radio-specific would go in RAW.
Fabrice Theoleyre : Don't have a doc ready that is generic enough. Would 
be good to see if too generic for DetNet.  Maybe the generic text could 
be brought into DetNet OAM, maybe Greg could help.
David Black: I like the idea of generic framework, since we mostly talk 
data plane in DetNet. But we don't want too many drafts.
David Black: Dataplane-independent draft on what OAM has to do would 
definitely be useful.
Janos Farkas: I agree that, similar to data plane, it would be good to 
have a DetNet OAM framework draft, then MPLS OAM, IP OAM, and RAW OAM 
for the wireless specific aspects.
Rick Taylor: As RAW chair, I am pleased to hear people saying this. In 
conversation wtih Lou, Janos, and Eve, we concluded that there is a lot 
of value in this doc to be generic enough for DetNet, but we would like 
to keep RAW specific part in RAW WG. But yes, we don't want too many docs.
Lou Berger: So there is support for a generic framework. If anyone is 
interested in working on this, please put your name in the chat, try to 
self organize.
Carlos Bernardos: proposes to contribute.
Georgios Papadopoulos: If I understand, the idea is to work on generic 
doc for DetNet, then specific doc for RAW WG, right?
Lou Berger: Yes.
Georgios Papadopoulos: We will put together a draft and send it to the list.
Lou Berger:   Just submit as an internet draft.

 > 5          13:40     10           Title:      Controller Plane Framework
 > Presenter:        Xuesong Geng
 > Draft: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-malis-detnet-controller-plane-framework-04
 > Slides: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-108-detnet-controller-plane-framework/
Xuesong Geng presented the slides.
Greg Mirsky: Please clarify: when you discuss OAM, do you refer to "M" 
as Management or Maintenance?
Xuesong Geng: Both should be considered, since based on definition of 
DetNet controller plane, which deals with both.  In that original doc we 
intended to cover all OAM considerations, so we propose to include both.
Greg Mirsky: Historically there is confusion about what M stands for in 
"OAM". M is Maintenance, which is not a management plane function.  It 
refers to what is configurable, what is exposed. Maintenance, as 
explained by Fabrice earlier, is a different entity. So it needs to be 
clarified why you think OAM is part of management plane.
Xuesong Geng: Terminology clarification is great here. But whether OAM 
should be included in management plane, we need input from WG. For this 
doc we just cover controller plane as in architecture doc, which 
addresses OAM. But not all parts.
Lou Berger: We will be cut off in 20 seconds. Please discuss on list, 
great topic, controller plane OAM vs data plane OAM.  Then we can 
discuss adoption on the list.
Lou Berger:  Thanks for everyone's participation, all feel free to 
request virtual meetings if they would be helpful.
Lou Berger:  Session is now closed.