Subject: [Detnet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 05:18:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Deterministic Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DetNet Data Plane: MPLS
        Authors         : Balázs Varga
                          János Farkas
                          Lou Berger
                          Andrew G. Malis
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Jouni Korhonen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2020-09-10

Abstract:
   This document specifies the Deterministic Networking data plane when
   operating over an MPLS Packet Switched Network.  It leverages
   existing pseudowire (PW) encapsulations and MPLS Traffic Engineering
   encapsulations and mechanisms.  This document builds on the DetNet
   Architecture and Data Plane Framework.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-mpls/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:26:17 +0200

Now -12 says:

"DetNet provides a capability for the delivery of data flows with extremely low packet loss rates and
 bounded end-to-end delivery latency"

What exactly is the capability that DetNet provides for bounded end-to-end delivery latency ?

I can only find hidden evidence in the text that DetNet MPLS can operate on top of pre-existing
technologies that could provide these benefits, but thats not what the document says,
and to me there is a big differnce between provide capability" and "can operate on top of"
so i continue to say that this is false adertisement: Any p2p LSP could claim to proide
these capabilities as long as somebody figured out e.g.: how to deploy and operationalize rfc2212.
Which i am not aware anyone has done. Nor do i see in section 5.2 any specific parameters
 that would be required to instantiate 2212, but just hand waiving.

Cheers
    Toerless