Subject: [Detnet] Last Call: <draft-ietf-detnet-security-12.txt> (Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Security Considerations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:51:42 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Deterministic Networking WG (detnet)
to consider the following document: - 'Deterministic Networking (DetNet)
Security Considerations'
  <draft-ietf-detnet-security-12.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-10-27. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A DetNet (deterministic network) provides specific performance
   guarantees to its data flows, such as extremely low data loss rates
   and bounded latency.  As a result, securing a DetNet requires that in
   addition to the best practice security measures taken for any
   mission-critical network, additional security measures may be needed
   to secure the intended operation of these novel service properties.

   This document addresses DetNet-specific security considerations from
   the perspectives of both the DetNet system-level designer and
   component designer.  System considerations include a threat model,
   taxonomy of relevant attacks, and associations of threats versus use
   cases and service properties.  Component-level considerations include
   ingress filtering and packet arrival time violation detection.  This
   document also addresses DetNet security considerations specific to
   the IP and MPLS data plane technologies thereby complementing the
   Security Considerations sections of the various DetNet Data Plane
   (and other) DetNet documents.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-security/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.